Each year around this time I break out the Generals schedule and a few highlighters and see what we have this year.
How many get-away day games, how many long road trips, who do we play the most. etc. The Southern League schedule is always crazy. That’s not any fault of the league office, they do a great job of putting together a fair schedule for everybody.
You have to factor things such as Jackson hosting the OVC Championships, Birmingham hosting the SEC Tournament, Mississippi hosting the C-USA Tournament, making sure each team has a home game on either July 3rd or 4th. It is not easy. Plus you have to keep travel manageable for teams. With Carolina out of the league, it makes it a little bit easier, but not much.
For the Generals in 2012, here is a look at how the schedule breaks down:
- vs. North Division – 73 games
- vs. South Division – 67 games
- vs. Tennessee Smokies (Cubs) – 10 Home, 14 Road – 24 Total
- vs. Montgomery Biscuits (Rays) – 8 Home, 13 Road – 21 Total
- vs. Huntsville Stars (Brewers) – 14 Home, 5 Road – 19 Total
- vs. Mississippi Braves (Braves) – 13 Home, 3 Road – 16 Total
- vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (Dodgers) – 5 Home, 10 Road – 15 Total
- vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos (Reds) – 5 Home, 10 Road – 15 Total
- vs. Birmingham Barons (White Sox) – 5 Home, 5 Road – 10 Total
- vs. Jacksonville Suns (Marlins) – 5 Home, 5 Road – 10 Total
- vs. Mobile BayBears (Diamondbacks) 5 Home, 5 Road – 10 Total
25 of the first 40 games are against either Tennessee (Cubs) or Huntsville (Brewers).
25 straight games to start the season before the first day off on April 29th.
24 5-game series, two 4-game series and four 3-game series.
116 night games and 24 day games, including seven starts before noon.
Off days by month:
- April – 1
- May – 2
- June – 4
- July – 4
- August – 2
- September – 0
Total of 140 games in 153 days.
Three two-city road trips, June 2-June 11 to Chattanooga and Jacksonville, July 4-July 9 to Mississippi and Montgomery and August 19-August 28 to Mobile and Chattanooga.
37 days until opening day.