Game #39: Jackson Generals (SEA) (16-22) vs. Birmingham Barons (CHW) (26-14)
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (2-3, 3.09) vs. LHP Spencer Arroyo (3-1, 1.99)
Promotions: $10,000 Cash Giveaway
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 6:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals (16-22) continue their 10-game homestand in 9 days tonight with game #1 of a 5-game series in 4 days with Birmingham (CHW) (26-14). The Generals dropped 4 of 5 from Tennessee in the previous series. Last season Jackson won 6 of 10 meetings against the Barons. 24-year-old Roenis Elias makes his seventh start for the Generals. This is his 41st overall start in his pro career. Jackson is 2-4 in his starts this season despite the 3.19 ERA in those games.
GENERALS RECAP: 3B Vinnie Catricala hit his 1st home run, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson lost to Tennessee 4-6 on Thursday night. Catricala (2×4, R, HR, 2 RBI) recorded the team’s only multi-hit game, while SS Brad Miller (1×4) and CF Francisco Martinez (1×3, 2B, BB) each recorded 1 of the Generals 4 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (5.0,5,4,4,1,2,2HR) allowed 4 runs on 5 hits in 5.0 innings, but didn’t figure into decision. Relievers Carson Smith (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) and Jonathan Arias (1.0,1,0,0,0,0) combined to hold the Smokies scoreless over the final 2.0 innings.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Jackson lost 4 of 5 games to the Smokies in the previous series. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that it is the first time this season that the Generals have dropped four games in a series.
NEWS & NOTES: Jackson ranks 3rd in the SL in batting (.249), 3rd in hits (321), 2nd in triples (13) and 4th in stolen bases (47). Jackson leads the league in hits allowed (292), 3rd in ERA (3.31), 3rd in walks allowed (121) and 4th in strikeouts (296),
• 18 of first 38 games have been 1-run games (5-13) which is 2nd in all of minors…23 of 38 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (6-17) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 10-5.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 4 runs in 5.1 innings in his last start, after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R). Overall this season, he is 3-3 with a 2.23 ERA (10 ER, 41.1 IP) in 7 starts. He has limited opponents to a .176 (25×142) average, while walking 22 and striking out 46.
• OF Julio Morban went 0x4 Thursday snapping his hitting streak at 12 games. During the streak he hit .426 (20×47) with 8 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs and 11 RBI….Longest by a JXN player this year. T-4th-longest this season in the SL.
• SS Brad Miller has hit safely in 8 straight games, which is the longest active hitting streak on the club, batting .394 (13×33) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run and 10 RBI.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks lead the SL catching 52.8% of base stealers (19 CS, 36 Att).
WINDY CITY HOMESTAND: The Generals are in their longest homestand of the season this week, welcoming the Tennessee Smokies (CHC) and Birmingham Barons (CHW) at The Ballpark for 10 games in 9 days. The homestand includes a scheduled doubleheader on May 18 vs. Birmingham.
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark in Jackson will host the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament will be held May 22-26 and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.