Game #44: Jackson Generals (SEA) (19-24) at Montgomery Biscuits (TB) (22-23)
Site: Riverwalk Stadium – Montgomery, AL
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (1-0, 8.84) vs. RHP Matt Buschmann (5-2, 2.96)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 6:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: After back-to-back off days, the Generals begin a 5-game road series tonight in Montgomery against the Biscuits…coming off a 10-game homestand in which Jackson lost 3 of 5 from Tennessee then won 3 of 5 from Birmingham…Jackson took 3 of 5 from Montgomery at The Ballpark at Jackson 4/10-4/14… 22-year-old lefty Anthony Fernandez gets the start tonight…his 5th start of the season and 81st start of his career…made 3 starts against Montgomery last year and posted a 1-0 record, with a 2.00 ERA in 18 innings.
GENERALS RECAP: 1B Leury Bonilla knocked in 3 RBI as the Generals defeated Birmingham 7-1 on Monday afternoon in Jackson. Trailing 1-0 in the 4th inning, Jackson scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 4th inning and 2 more in the 6th. Bonilla (3×4, 2B, 3 RBI) led the team with 3 hits, while RF Julio Morbon (2×4, 2 R, 3B, 2 RBI) recorded the team’s only other multi-hit game. Starter Brett Shankin (5.0,2,1,1,5,2) earned his 3rd win, allowing only 1 run on 2 hits while walking 5 and striking out 2 in 5.0 innings. RH Moises Hernandez (3.0,0,0,0,0,4) and RH Carson Smith (1.0,0,0,0,1,1) combined to strike out 5 in 4.0 hitless innings in relief.
Hey Montgomery broadcaster Aaron Vargas, YOU ALREADY KNOW…that the Generals took 3 of 5 from Montgomery back in early April. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that the two teams have split their last 46 meetings dating back to 2011. (JXN 23, MTG 23). Jackson leads the all-time series, 74-72.
NEWS & NOTES: 20 of first 43 games have been 1-run games (6-14) which is 2nd in all of minors…25 of 43 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (7-18) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 12-6.
• OF Leon Landry currently has a 4-game hit streak, batting .429 (6×14) with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles and 1 RBI.
• INF Gabriel Noriega has hit safely in his last 4 games, batting .364 (4×11) with 3 runs scored, 2 double and 3 RBI.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 15 of his last 17 games, batting .381 (24×63) with 11 runs scored,5 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs and 13 RBI. During this 17-game stretch, since April 27, Morban leads the Southern League in average.
• SS Brad Miller has hit safely 10 of his last 12 games, batting .333 (15×45) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run and 10 RBI.
• RH reliever Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed a run in his last 9.1 innings in relief (5 G). He has allowed only 1 run in his last 16.1 innings in relief. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .172 (10×58) average, while walking 3 and striking out 20. Since April 21, Kohlscheen has lowered his season ERA from 6.35 to 2.05 in 8 games in relief.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 17.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .203 (13×64) average, while walking 10 and striking out 14.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 10 earned runs over his last 3 starts (16.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10-May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-4 with a 2.77 ERA (16 ER, 52.0 IP) in 9 starts. He has limited opponents to a .197 (37×188) average, while walking 25 and striking out 57.
LH reliever Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 17.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .203 (13×64) average, while walking 10 and striking out 14.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks lead the SL catching 56.1% of base stealers (23 CS, 41 Att).
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark at Jackson is hosting the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament is going on now through Sunday and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.