Game #46: Jackson Generals (SEA) (20-25) at Montgomery Biscuits (TB) (23-24)
Site: Riverwalk Stadium – Montgomery, AL
Time: 6:35 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Chance Ruffin (1-2, 2.87) vs. RHP Merrill Kelly (3-4, 3.81)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 6:20) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals continue their 5-game road series tonight in Montgomery against the Biscuits with game #3 of the series…coming off 10-game homestand in which Jackson lost 3 of 5 from Tennessee then won 3 of 5 from Birmingham…Jackson took 3 of 5 from Montgomery at The Ballpark at Jackson 4/10-4/14…24-year-old Chance Ruffin makes his 9th career start and 9th of the season today against Montgomery. This is his 2nd start this season against Montgomery, with the first coming in Jackson on April 13 (ND).
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals out-hit the Biscuits 9-6, but Jackson fell short losing to Montgomery 1-2 on Friday night. CF James Jones (2×4) and Jack Marder (2×4) each recorded 2 of the Generals 9 hits. LF Leon Landry (1×4, R, HR, RBI) gave the Generals and early 1-0 lead, after leading off the game with a home run, his 4th home run of the season. Starter Roenis Elias (6.2,6,2,2,3,8) recorded his 4th loss of the season, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits and striking out 8 in 6.2 innings. RH Forrest Snow (1.1,0,0,0,1,2) walked 1 and struck out 2 in 1.1 scoreless innings in relief.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that the Generals out-hit Montgomery last night 9-6. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that in 11 of Jackson’s 25 losses they have out-hit their opponents.
NEWS & NOTES: 21 of first 45 games have been 1-run games (6-15) which is 2nd in all of minors…27 of 45 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (8-19) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 12-6.
• Roster Palooza!!! Their have been 8 roster moves affecting the Generals roster during this series. INF Rich Poythress, OF Denny Almonte, C Mike Dowd and C Carlton Tanabe have all been added. SS Brad Miller and C Brandon Bantz were each promoted to Tacoma.
• OF Leon Landry currently has a 5-game hit streak, batting .389 (7×18) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 home run and 2 RBI.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 16 of his last 19 games, batting .357 (25×70) with 11 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs and 13 RBI. During this 19-game stretch, since April 27, Morban leads the Southern League in average.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed a run in his last 11.1 innings in relief (6 G). He has allowed only 1 run in his last 18.1 innings in relief. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .147 (10×68) average, while walking 3 and striking out 23. Since April 21, Kohlscheen has lowered his season ERA from 6.35 to 1.88 in 9 games in relief.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 17.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .203 (13×64) average, while walking 10 and striking out 14.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 10 earned runs over his last 3 starts (16.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10-May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-4 with a 2.77 ERA (16 ER, 52.0 IP) in 9 starts. He has limited opponents to a .197 (37×188) average, while walking 25 and striking out 57.
LH reliever Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 17.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .203 (13×64) average.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 54.8% of base stealers (23 CS, 42 Att).
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark at Jackson is hosting the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament is going on now through Sunday and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.