Game #64: Jackson Generals (SEA) (28-35) at Birmingham Barons (CHW) (42-25)
Site: Regions Field – Birmingham, AL
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (2-1, 2.39) vs. RHP Stephen McCray (6-4, 3.82)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:15) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals play the middle game of a 5-game road series against the SL North 1st half Champion Birmingham Barons with game #3 of the series (1-1)…the Barons’ 42 wins is the most in the league…Jackson leads the season series 4-3 and will meet Birmingham 15 times in 2013… 25-year-old lefty James Gillheeney starts for Jackson…this is his 11th start of the season and 6th for Jackson…this is his 2nd career start against the Barons…last on 8/7/11 at Hoover…took no decision in 6 innings allowing 2 runs on 4 hits striking out 3 and walking 3.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals allowed 3 runs in the bottom of the 7th inning to break a 0-0 tie as Jackson lost to Birmingham 4-1 on Friday night. CF Denny Almonte (1×4, RBI) recorded an RBI single in the top of the 8th inning to get Jackson on the board. SS Gabriel Noriega (1×2, BB) recorded the Generals only other hit in the game. Starter Taijuan Walker (6.0,3,2,2,1,7) recorded his 7th loss of the season, allowing 2 runs on 3 hits in 6.0 innings. He tossed 6.0 shutout innings before being charged with 2 runs in bottom of the 7th without recording an out. LH Nick Hill (1.0,3,1,1,0,1) and RH Stephen Shackleford (0.2,1,1,1,2,0) each allowed a run in relief, while RH Kyle Hunter (0.0,0,0,0,0,0) retired the only batter faced, stranding 2 runners in the bottom of the 8th inning.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that the Generals have a 4-3 record this season against the first half North Champion Birmingham Barons, but DID YOU KNOW?…that the Generals are one of only 2 teams with a winning record vs. the Barons this season. The other is Montgomery (8-7).
NEWS & NOTES: 27 of first 63 games have been 1-run games (10-17) which is the most in all of minors…38 of 63 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-25) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 15-10.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…their are currently 6 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• FRESH PRINCE OF BEL…JACKSON: RH Taijuan Walker is 0-3 in his last 4 starts, despite allowing only 6 runs in 25.1 innings (2.13 ERA). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .153 average (13×85), while walking 5 and striking out 27.
• FINALLY ON TOP: Generals OF Julio Morban leads the league with a .316 batting average. He missed 2 weeks in April due to a groin injury and just reached the plate appearances to qualify for league leaders.
• BROOKLYN’S FINEST: OF James Jones has hit safely in 8 of his last 10 games, batting .306 (11×36) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run and 8 RBI.
• SOLDIER ON THE HILL: LH Nick Hill has allowed only 4 runs in his last 28.0 innings (1.29 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .212 (22×104) average, while walking 13 and striking out 21.
• FIRST LOOK AT REGIONS FIELD: In April, the Barons played their 1st game in their new ballpark, Regions Field. The state-of-the-art 8,500 seat $64 million facility in the heart of downtown replaced Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, the home of the Barons since 1988. The crown jewel of Birmingham’s newly developed Parkside District, features a variety of unique seating areas, creating an intimate atmosphere and offering unique views of the downtown skyline, UAB, Children’s Hospital, Vulcan and Red Mountain.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 56.4% of base stealers (31 CS, 55 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 34.7% of base runners.