Game #65: Jackson Generals (SEA) (29-35) at Birmingham Barons (CHW) (42-26)
Site: Regions Field – Birmingham, AL
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Chance Ruffin (3-2, 2.81) vs. LHP Spencer Arroyo (5-4, 3.24)
Radio: Pregame Show (2:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: this afternoon the Generals play game #4 of a 5-game road series against the SL North 1st half Champion Birmingham Barons (2-1)…the Barons’ 42 wins is the most in the league…Jackson leads the season series 5-3 and will meet Birmingham 15 times in 2013… 24-year-old Chance Ruffin makes his 12th career start and 12th of the season today…Ruffin ranks 4th in the league with a 1.05 WHIP.
GENERALS RECAP: LH James Gillheeney combined with 3 relievers on a 7-hit shutout as Jackson defeated Birmingham 3-0 on Saturday night. It was the team’s 4th shutout of the season and first since April 15th at Mississippi. Gillheeney (5.0,2,0,0,2,5) earned his 3rd win with Jackson and the 5th overall this season, allowing only 2 hits and striking out 5 in 5.0 scoreless innings. Relievers Andrew Kittredge (1.0,3,0,0,0,2), Stephen Kohlscheen (2.0,1,0,0,0,3) and Carson Smith (1.0,1,0,0,0,2) combined to strikeout 7 batters in 4.0 scoreless innings. Smith earned his 7th save of the season with a scoreless 9th inning. LF Leon Landry (3×4, R, 2B, BB) led the team with 3 hits, while 1B Ji-Man Choi (1×4, RBI), C Michael Dowd (1×3, R, BB) and 2B Jack Marder (1×4) each recorded 1 of the team’s 6 hits.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that the Generals posted a 7-hit shutout last night and James Gillheeney earned his 3rd win, but DID YOU KNOW?…that the Generals’ last shutout was on April 15 at Mississippi and Gillheeney’s last Jackson win was April 14 at home vs. Montgomery.
NEWS & NOTES: 27 of first 64 games have been 1-run games (10-17) which is the most in all of minors…38 of 64 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-25) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 16-10.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: None
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…their are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• RUNNIN WILD: The Generals and Barons are the top 2 teams in league in stolen bases. Birmingham has 89 steals while the Generals are charging in 2nd place with 82 swiped bags.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• FRESH PRINCE OF BEL…JACKSON: RH Taijuan Walker is 0-3 in his last 4 starts, despite allowing only 6 runs in 25.1 innings (2.13 ERA). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .153 average (13×85), while walking 5 and striking out 27.
• FINALLY ON TOP: Generals OF Julio Morban leads the league with a .316 batting average. He missed 2 weeks in April due to a groin injury and just reached the plate appearances to qualify for league leaders.
• SOLDIER ON THE HILL: LH Nick Hill has allowed only 4 runs in his last 28.0 innings (1.29 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .212 (22×104) average, while walking 13 and striking out 21.
• FIRST LOOK AT REGIONS FIELD: In April, the Barons played their 1st game in their new ballpark, Regions Field. The state-of-the-art 8,500 seat $64 million facility in the heart of downtown replaced Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, the home of the Barons since 1988. The crown jewel of Birmingham’s newly developed Parkside District, features a variety of unique seating areas, creating an intimate atmosphere and offering unique views of the downtown skyline, UAB, Children’s Hospital, Vulcan and Red Mountain.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 54.4% of base stealers (31 CS, 55 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 34.7% of base runners.