Game #67: Jackson Generals (SEA) 0-0, (29-37) vs. Mobile BayBears (ARI) 0-0, (39-30)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (3-6, 2.92) vs. RHP Bradin Hagens (7-3, 2.68)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals open a homestand tonight with game #1 of a 5-game series with the first half South Division Champion Mobile BayBears…this is the 1st of 15 meetings during the 2nd half between the clubs…last season the Generals finished the regular season 6-4 against Mobile… 24-year-old Roenis Elias makes his 13th start for the Generals in the opener of the series vs. Mobile. This is his 47th overall start in his pro career. This is Elias’ first career start against the BayBears…off to a 1-1 start to the month of June with a 1.46 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals were limited to only 3 hits in 0-1 loss to Birmingham in a rained-shortened game on Monday afternoon. Rain hit downtown Birmingham in the top of the sixth inning as Jackson had Denny Almonte at first after a walk, and nobody out. After a 47 minute rain delay the game was called due to the rain that had fallen and more on the way.1B Ji-Man Choi (2×2, 2B) recorded 2 hits, while 2B Patrick Brady picked up the Generals only other hit in the game. Starter Anthony Fernandez (5.0,7,1,1,2,3) recorded his 3rd loss of the season, allowing 1 run on on 7 hits in 5.0 innings.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that the Generals today added California League All-Star Chris Taylor to the roster, but DID YOU KNOW?…that Taylor, a 5th round draft choice by the Mariners in 2012 is just the 2nd member of the ‘12 draft class to reach AA. The other was Mike Zunino who finished last season in Jackson and is now a member of the Mariners active roster.
NEWS & NOTES: 29 of first 66 games have been 1-run games (10-19) which is the most in all of minors…40 of 66 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-27) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 16-10.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: INF Chris Taylor and INF Ramon Morla added from A+ High Desert. INF Leury Bonilla promoted to AAA Tacoma and RHP Moises Hernandez placed on 7-day DL.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• FACING THE CHAMPS: The Generals are currently in a stretch of playing 10 straight games against the North and South Division 1st half Champions. Birmingham took 3 of 5 from the Generals to close out the 1st half and Jackson now faces Mobile during the opening series of the 2nd half. Mobile has won back-to-back Southern League Championships including the best-of-five Chapmpionship series last year over the Generals in 4 games.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of Chris Taylor to start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virgnia Cavliers. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• FRESH PRINCE OF BEL…JACKSON: RH Taijuan Walker is 0-3 in his last 4 starts, despite allowing only 6 runs in 25.1 innings (2.13 ERA). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .153 average (13×85), while walking 5 and striking out 27.
• SOLDIER ON THE HILL: LH Nick Hill has allowed only 4 runs in his last 28.0 innings (1.29 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .212 (22×104) average, while walking 13 and striking out 21.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.5% of base stealers (32 CS, 61 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 34.7% of base runners.