Game #75: Jackson Generals (3-5, 32-42) vs. Birmingham Barons (6-4, 50-30)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 6:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (4-3, 5.55) vs. LHP Scott Snodgress (8-6, 4.78)
Promotions: Postgame Fireworks (Leaders Credit Union)
Radio: Pregame Show (5:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
Generals Roster | 2013 Regular Season Statistics | SL Standings | SL Leaders | Generals Promotions | MLB Game Notes | Mariners Roster | MLB Standings
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals open a homestand tonight with game #1 of a 5-game series against the Birmingham Barons. This is the 3rd series between the North Division rivals with the season series tied 5-5… 24-year-old Roenis Elias makes his 15th start for the Generals and 3rd of the season vs. Birmingham. This is his 49th overall start in his pro career. Elias is 3-2 with a 2.01 ERA on the road as opposed to 0-5 with a 4.20 ERA at home.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals and Smokies made it to the bottom of the 2nd inning Friday when rain hit Smokies Park in game one of the doubleheader. After a 2 hour rain delay the game was suspended with Tennessee leading 2-1 with one on and one out in the bottom of the second inning. Game two of the doubleheader was postponed.
DID YOU KNOW?…that opening day Generals SS Brad Miller (0x3, BB) made his Major League debut last night vs. Cubs, batting 9th and playing shortstop. He recorded the first stolen base of his Major League career, stealing 2nd base in the 7th inning
NEWS & NOTES: 30 of first 74 games have been 1-run games (10-20) which is the 2nd in all of minors…42 of 74 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-29) and 7 have been extra-inning games (2-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 19-13.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2012 General LHP Danny Hultzen made his first start since April 19th last night for Tacoma vs. Las Vegas and tossed 6 shutout innings, allowing just 2 hits walking 1 and striking out 6. He threw 78 pitches.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, eight 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• #VOTE CHOI: For the first time, fans will determine the final player on both the U.S. and World Team rosters by casting their votes in the Futures Finalists ballot, available exclusively on MLB.com/futuresfinalists. Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi, a native of South Korea is one of the finalist for the World roster.
• MILLER, WALKER TO THE FUTURES GAME: 2013 Generals Taijuan Walker and Brad Miller were selected to the Futures Game U.S. squad on Wednesday. This is the 1st selection for Miller and 2nd selection for Walker.
• YOUNG GUN: 21-year-old OF Julio Morban is the 5th youngest player in the Southern League. Morban currently is 2nd in the league with a .311 batting average is 4th in the league with a .495 slugging percentage.
• MR. JONES…MR. JONES: OF James Jones has hit safely in 6 of his last 7 games, batting .286 (8×28) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs and 7 RBI.
• EXTRA MORLA: Since being promoted to Jackson, 5 of Ramon Morla’s 6 hits have gone for extra-bases (2-2B, 3 HR). Overall he is batting .231 (6×26) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 3 home runs and 8 RBI.
• NEW FRESH PRINCE OF TACOMA: RH Taijuan Walker was promoted to Tacoma Friday and tossed 6 shutout innings Tuesday against Fresno in his Tacoma debut. In Walker’s final Jackson start, he struck out a career-high 12 last Thursday against Mobile. In his last 5 Jackson starts, struck out 39 and walked 5 in 32 2/3 innings, all while allowing opponents to hit just .191 (21-for-110). Hemade 39 starts for the Generals in 2 seasons complete with rates of 9.1 strikeouts and 3.4 walks per nine innings.
• MORBAN SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: The Southern League announced Monday that Generals outfielder Julio Morban was named the League’s Hitter of the Week. Morban batted .400 (10×25), with 3 doubles, a home run, 9 RBI and 6 runs scored during the week and opening series of the 2nd half against Mobile. Morban homered, doubled twice and posted a career high 5 RBI in Saturday’s 10-5 win over the BayBears at The Ballpark at Jackson. It’s the first hitter of the week for a General since Brad Miller the first week of the season.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.