Game #90: Jackson Generals (10-13, 39-50) vs. Tennessee Smokies (15-8, 49-43)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 6:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (3-3, 3.50) vs. RHP Kyle Hendricks (8-3, 2.13)
Promotions: Disney Vacation Package Giveaway, Disney Fireworks (JEA)
Radio: Pregame Show (5:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 7-game series in 5 days against the Tennessee Smokies today with game #6 of the series (0-5)…the Generals are 3-15 against the Smokies this season and 1-9 against TNS at home this season… 25-year-old lefty James Gillheeney starts game 6 of the series….This is his 4th career start vs. TNS and is 0-2 with a 7.88 ERA in those games.
DID YOU KNOW?: That Generals pitching allowed just 3 earned runs in 19 innings during yesterday’s doubleheader sweep by the Tennessee Smokies, which is a 1.42 ERA. Also Jackson pitching struck out 22 Smokies in those 19 innings.
BACK TO THE FUTURE: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi will miss tonight and tomorrow’s game due to playing in the 2013 Futures Game at Citi Field in New York on Sunday. Also, Smokies INF Arismendy Alcantara will miss the next 2 games as well being a teammate of Choi’s on the World squad. Former Jackson pitcher Taijuan Walker will be a member of the U.S. squad. The game will be at 1 p.m. CT on ESPN2.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals suffered a tough doubleheader sweep Friday at the hands of the Tennessee Smokies, as Jackson mustered only 1 run in 19 innings of baseball. Jackson pitching posted a 1.42 ERA in the doubleheader, but lost twice. Tennessee took the first game 2-0 in 10-inninns. They came right back in the nightcap and snagged a 2-1 victory in 9 frames. Starting pitchers Kyle Hunter and Anthony Vasquez combined to allow just 1 run in 12 innings on the mound. Both recieved no decisions. Jackson’s only run in the doubleheader came from a solo home run in the 3rd inning of game 2 from C Michael Dowd. It was his first Double-A homer.
NEWS & NOTES: 35 of first 89 games have been 1-run games (13-22) which is the 5th in all of minors…49 of 89 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (17-32) and 10 have been extra-inning games (3-7)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 22-17.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma RHP Chance Ruffin suffered a loss in his 2013 Rainiers debut Friday night in Reno. The right-hander surrendered 4 runs on 5 hits over 4.1 innings, and struck out 3 with 3 walks issued.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino and RHP Yoervis Medina, LHP Bobby LaFromboise, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for this Wednesday at Bragan Field at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor has hit safely in 11 of his last 14 games with 6 multi-hit outings, batting batting .343 (18×49) with 8 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 3 stolen bases and 7 walks. Overall he has hit safely in 16 of 21 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .290 (23×79) with 12 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 12 walks and 5 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 22 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.57 ERA (4 ER, 23.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.67. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 25 of 28 games, including recording 12 strikeouts over his last 6 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO WORLD ROSTER IN FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walker will be on the U.S. roster.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of a doublheader on June 10th against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.3% of base stealers (46 CS, 88 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 35.6% of base runners.