Game #92: Jackson Generals (11-14, 40-51) vs. Mississippi Braves (12-14, 50-46)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Vasquez (1-0, 2.28) vs. RHP Michael Lee (5-6, 4.31)
Promotions: Generals Garden Gnome Giveaway (colored tickets handed out) (Leaders Credit Union)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their 10-game homestand (1-5) tonight with game #2 of the 5-game series with the Mississippi Braves at The Ballpark in Jackson…this is the M-Braves’ first and only visit to Jackson this season. The Braves lead the season series 4-2 while Jackson leads the all-time series 83-82… 26-year-old LHP Anthony Vasquez makes his 5th Jackson start of the season and 8th overall in game 2. In 3 starts so far in July, Vasquez is 1-0, with a 0.95 ERA, holding opponents to a .145 average.
DID YOU KNOW?: that the Generals collected 3 triples last night in the 8-3 win over the M-Braves. That runs the season total to 24 which is 2nd-most in the Southern League this season. James Jones has 9 which is T-1st in the Southern League.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning as Jackson came-from-behind to defeat Mississippi 8-3 on Thursday night. SS Chris Taylor (4×5, 3 R, 3B, RBI, SB) led the team with 4 hits, while 2B Gabriel Noriega (3×4, R, RBI), LF Leon Landry (2×4, 3B, 4 RBI, BB) and 3B Ramon Morla (2×4, SB) each recorded multi-hit contests. Starter Anthony Fernandez (6.0,2,2,0,2,4) allowed 2 runs (0 ER) on 2 hits in 6.0 innings, but did not figure into the decision. Relievers RH Tyler Burgoon (1.0,2,0,0,0,2), RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,2,1,1,0,0,HR) and RH Carson Smith (1.0,0,0,0,0) combined to allow 1 run in 3.0 innings in relief to close out the game. Shackleford recorded his first Double-A win, despite allowing a solo home run in the 8th inning.
NEWS & NOTES: 35 of first 91 games have been 1-run games (13-22) which is the 5th in all of minors…49 of 91 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (17-32) and 10 have been extra-inning games (3-7)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 23-18.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma C Brandon Bantz was 3×4 with a R, 3B, RBI to lead the team last night, but Tacoma lost 8-7 to Fresno.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino and RHP Yoervis Medina, LHP Bobby LaFromboise, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits. After batting .172 (5×29) is his 8 games with Jackson, Taylor is batting .361(22×61) with 11 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 9 walks and 4 stolen base in last 16 games. During this 16-game stretch, since June 29, Taylor has raised his average with Jackson from .172 to .300
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 25 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 7 saves and a 1.33 ERA (4 ER, 27.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.51. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 27 of 31 games, including recording 15 strikeouts over his last 9 appearances.
• ALL ABOUT THE JI-MAN: Quietly, 1B Ji-Man Choi is having one of the best seasons in the Mariners farm system. Overall this season in A+ and AA he is batting .296 (84×279) with 13 home runs and 57 RBI. He ranks 7th in AVG, 4th in HR’s and 4th in RBI in the organization.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of a doublheader on June 10th against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 53.8% of base stealers (49 CS, 92 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 35.6% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).