Game #93: Jackson Generals (12-14, 41-51) vs. Mississippi Braves (12-15, 50-47)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 6:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Trevor Miller (0-0, –) vs. LHP Ian Thomas (4-6, 2.69)
Promotions: High Tech Special Effects Fireworks (MobileNation), Reading Night (Union Univ.), MTSU Alumni Night
Radio: Pregame Show (5:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their 10-game homestand (2-5) tonight with game #3 of the 5-game series with the Mississippi Braves at The Ballpark in Jackson…this is the M-Braves’ first and only visit to Jackson this season. The Braves lead the season series 4-3 while Jackson leads the all-time series 84-82…22-year-old RHP Trevor Miller makes his Double-A debut today in the middle game against the Braves. Miller was 4-7 with a 4.82 ERA in 18 starts for A+ High Desert this season.
DID YOU KNOW?: that the Generals are in a stretch of playing 45 games in 47 days to close out the 2013 regular season. The Generals are currently in a stretch of 25 games in 25 days. Jackson will play just 17 more home games, with 25 games coming on the road to end the year.
GENERALS RECAP: 1B Steven Proscia hit a walk-off single scoring 3B Ramon Morla in the bottom of the 10th inning as Jackson defeated Mississippi 4-3 on Friday night. Proscia’s single snapped his 0-for-25 hitless streak, dating back to July 8 at Pensacola. SS Chris Taylor (2×4, R, 2B, RBI, BB) and DH Ji-Man Choi (2×4, R, RBI, BB) combined to recorded 4 of Jackson’s 7 hits, while Prosica (1×5, R, RBI), RF James Jones (1×4, BB) and C Michael Dowd (1×3) each recorded 1 hit. Starter Anthony Vasquez (6.0,6,2,2,1,3,HR) allowed 2 runs on 6 hits in 6.0 innings, but did not figure into the decision. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (1.1,2,1,1,0,3,HR) allowed a run in the top of the 8th inning, while LH Nick Hill (0.2,2,0,0,0,1) and RH Dominic Leone (2.0,0,0,0,0,4) combined to hold the Braves scoreless over the final 2.2 innings. Leone earned his first career Double-A win after striking out 4 in 2.0 hitless innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 36 of first 92 games have been 1-run games (14-22) which is the 5th in all of minors…50 of 91 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (18-32) and 11 have been extra-inning games (4-7)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 23-18.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Opening day Jackson shortstop Brad Miller was 3-for-5 with his first 2 Major League home runs and 5 RBIs last night in Seattle’s 10-7 win at Houston. Miller is batting .273 after three weeks in the Majors.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino and RHP Yoervis Medina, LHP Bobby LaFromboise, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• WELCOME TO DOUBLE-A MR. LEONE: Generals reliever Dominic Leone is the 3rd member of the 2012 draft class to reach Double-A this season (Zunino, Taylor). The 21-year-old out of Clemson has tossed 3.0 hitless innings with 5 strikeouts in his first 2 Jackson outings.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits. Taylor is batting .369 (24×65) with 12 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI, 10 walks and 4 stolen base in his last 17 games. During this 17-game stretch, since June 29, Taylor has raised his average with Jackson from .172 t0 .309 During this 17-game stetch he has the 2nd-highest average in the Southern League
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 25 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 7 saves and a 1.33 ERA (4 ER, 27.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.51. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 27 of 31 games, including recording 15 strikeouts over his last 9 appearances.
• ALL ABOUT THE JI-MAN: Quietly, 1B Ji-Man Choi is having one of the best seasons in the Mariners farm system. Overall this season in A+ and AA he is batting .299 (86×288) with 13 home runs and 58 RBI. He ranks 9th in AVG, 4th in HR’s and 4th in RBI in the organization.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 53.8% of base stealers (49 CS, 92 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 36.2% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).