Game #94/95: Jackson Generals (12-15, 41-52) vs. Mississippi Braves (13-15, 51-47)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 12:05 p.m.
Game 1: LHP James Gillheeney (3-4, 3.84) vs. RHP Aaron Northcraft (3-8, 4.17)
Game 2: LHP Roenis Elias (5-8, 2.87) vs. RHP Gus Schlosser (0-1, 3.10)
Promotions: Super Splash Day
Radio: Pregame Show (11:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals conclude their 10-game homestand (2-6) today with a doubleheader to close the series with the Mississippi Braves at The Ballpark in Jackson…this is the M-Braves’ first and only visit to Jackson this season. The Braves lead the season series 5-3 while Jackson leads the all-time series 84-83…25-year-old LHP James Gillheeney starts game 1 of the DH while ….This is his 4th career start vs. MIS and is 0-3 with a 8.84 ERA in those games in 2010, 2011 and 2012… 24-year-old LHP Roenis Elias makes his 18th start for the Generals in game 2. Elias is 1-6 with a 3.93 ERA at home as opposed to 4-2 with a 1.78 ERA on the road.
DID YOU KNOW?: that the Generals have been postponed 13 times and had 2 games suspended due to rain this season. The Generals lead the league in doubleheader games having played 16 coming into today. The M-Braves have been rained out only once this season and are 2-0 in doubleheader games.
GENERALS RECAP: After waiting through a 56 minute rain delay, Sunday’s game between the Generals and Braves was postponed due to rain.
NEWS & NOTES: 36 of first 93 games have been 1-run games (14-22) which is the 5th in all of minors…51 of 93 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (18-33) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 23-18.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Seattle 2B Nick Franklin hit a grand slam HR for the Mariners in Houston during the 12-5 Seattle win. Franklin’s 7 home runs are tied for 2nd-most among American League rookies behind Aaron Hicks’ 8 for the Twins. M’s SS Brad Miller added 2 hits and 2 RBIs as the 2 rookies atop the Mariners order combined to go 4-for-11 with 6 RBIs on Sunday.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino and RHP Yoervis Medina, LHP Bobby LaFromboise, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 25 games in 25 days and 45 games in 47 days to close out the 2013 regular season. At the conclusion of the current series the Generals will have 15 home games and 25 road games remaining.
• WELCOME TO DOUBLE-A MR. LEONE: Generals reliever Dominic Leone is the 3rd member of the 2012 draft class to reach Double-A this season (Zunino, Taylor). The 21-year-old out of Clemson has tossed 3.0 hitless innings with 5 strikeouts in his first 2 Jackson outings.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits. Taylor is batting .343 (24×70) with 12 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI, 11 walks and 4 stolen base in last 18 games.
• LEADER OF THE GOON SQUAD: RH Tyler Burgoon has allowed only 1 run over his last 17.1 innings in relief (12 G). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .115 average (6×52), while walking 8 and striking out 19. He has recorded at least 1 strikeout out in 22 of 25 appearances with Jackson (48 strikeouts overall), including 8 outings with at least 3 strikeouts.
• ALL ABOUT THE JI-MAN: Quietly, 1B Ji-Man Choi is having one of the best seasons in the Mariners farm system. Overall this season in A+ and AA he is batting .295 (86×292) with 13 home runs and 58 RBI. He ranks 10th in AVG, 4th in HR’s and 4th in RBI in the organization.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• WE GOTCHA!!...Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 53.2% of base stealers (50 CS, 94 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 35.8% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).