Game #95: Jackson Generals (13-15, 42-52) vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (12-18, 47-53)
Site: AT&T Field – Chattanooga, TN
Time: 6:15 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (5-8, 2.87) vs. RHP Duke von Schamann (2-2, 3.02)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:00) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 5-game road series tonight with game #2 at AT&T Field against the Chattanooga Lookouts…the Generals are 6-5 against the Lookouts this season and 4-2 at AT&T Field…24-year-old Roenis Elias makes his 18th start for the Generals in game 2 of the series at Chattanooga. Elias is 1-6 with a 3.93 ERA at home as opposed to 4-2 with a 1.78 ERA on the road.
GENERALS RECAP: Starter Jimmy Gillheeney and 3 relievers combined on a 4-hit shutout as Jackson defeated Chattanooga 8-0 on Tuesday night. Gillheeney (5.1,1,0,0,1,5) earned his 4th win with Jackson (6th overall), allowing only 1 hit over 5.1 innings. LH Kyle Hunter (1.2,1,0,0,0,1), RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,1,0,0,0,1) and RH Carson Smith (1.0,1,0,0,0,0,2) combined to strikeout 4 over the final 3.2 scoreless innings in relief. 1B Ji-Man Choi (3×5 R, HR, RBI) and C John Hicks (2×4, RBI, BB) combined to record 6 of the Generals 11 hits. 3B Ramon Morla (2×5, R) recorded the team’s only other multi-hit game, while CF Denny Almonte (1×2, R, HR, 3 RBI) drove in a team-high 3 runs.
NEWS & NOTES: 36 of first 94 games have been 1-run games (14-22) which is the 5th in all of minors…51 of 94 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (18-33) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 24-18.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Former General Erasmo Ramirez (5.2,8,3,3,2,4,HR) tallied his first win for the Mariners since 9/11/2012 (@ TOR). last night in the 4-3 win over Cleveland. In his last 8 MLB starts, he’s allowed 3 runs or less 6 times and gone 5.0+ innings 6 times.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• KEN GRIFFEY JR. AND BRAD MILLER: Opening day Jackson shortstop Brad Miller was named the American League Player of the Week on Monday. In 3 games vs. the Astros, Miller hit .385 (5×13) with 4 runs scored, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and a 1.346 OPS. He recorded 2 home runs and a career-high 5 RBI Friday vs. the Astros He is the first Mariners rookie to earn the honor since Ken Griffey Jr. in 1989
• RAIN, RAIN GO AWAY: The Generals have been rained out 14 times this season and had 2 additional games suspended. The Generals have also had 5 games cancelled. Jackson leads the league having played 16 doubleheader games this season (7-9).
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals begin the home stretch of the 2013 season tonight and will play 42 games in 42 days to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 will be at The Ballpark in Jackson.
• WELCOME TO DOUBLE-A MR. LEONE: Generals reliever Dominic Leone is the 3rd member of the 2012 draft class to reach Double-A this season (Zunino, Taylor). The 21-year-old out of Clemson has tossed 3.0 hitless innings with 5 strikeouts in his first 2 Jackson outings.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits. Taylor is batting .323 (24×73) with 14 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI, 13 walks and 4 stolen base in last 19 games. During this 19-game stretch, since June 29, Taylor has raised his average with Jackson from .172 t0 .284 and has the 5th-highest average in the Southern League.
• LEADER OF THE GOON SQUAD: RH Tyler Burgoon has allowed only 1 run over his last 17.1 innings in relief (12 G). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .115 average (6×52), while walking 8 and striking out 19. He has recorded at least 1 strikeout out in 22 of 25 appearances with Jackson (48 strikeouts overall), including 8 outings with at least 3 strikeouts.
• ALL ABOUT THE JI-MAN: Quietly, 1B Ji-Man Choi is having one of the best seasons in the Mariners farm system. Overall this season in A+ and AA he is batting .300 (89×297) with 14 home runs and 59 RBI. He ranks 7th in AVG, 4th in HR’s and 4th in RBI in the organization.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 53.2% of base stealers (50 CS, 94 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 35.8% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).