Game #98: Jackson Generals (15-16, 44-52) at Chattanooga Lookouts (13-20, 48-55)
Site: AT&T Field – Chattanooga, TN
Time: 6:15 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: RHP Trevor Miller (0-0, 6.00) vs. RHP Ross Stripling (5-1, 3.12)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:00) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals wrap up a 5-game road series tonight with game #5 at AT&T Field against the Chattanooga Lookouts…the Generals have won 4 of 5 in a series only once this season (July 4-8 at Pensacola)…the Generals are 8-6 against the Lookouts this season and 6-3 at AT&T Field…22-year-old RHP Trevor Miller makes his 2nd Double-A start tonight in the final game of the series against the Lookouts. Miller was 4-7 with a 4.82 ERA in 18 starts for A+ High Desert this season.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals out-hit the Lookouts 11-7, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson lost to Chattanooga 2-5 on Friday night. CF James Jones (2×4), RF Julio Morban (2×3, 2 R, HR, RBI, BB), 1B Ji-Man Choi (2×4), C John Hicks (2×4, RBI) and DH Daniel Paolini (2×4, 2B) each recorded 2 of the team’s 11 hits. Starter Anthony Vasquez (5.1,4,4,4,2,1,2HR) recorded his lost the loss, allowing 4 runs on 4 hits in 5.1 innings. RH Stephen Shackleford (1.1,1,1,1,1,2) allowed a run in the 7th inning, while LH Nick Hill (0.2,2,0,0,0,0) and RH Carson Smith (0.2,0,0,0,0,0) combined to hold the Lookouts scoreless over the final 1.1 innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 97 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the 7th in all of minors…52 of 97 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-33) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 25-19.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Seattle catcher Mike Zunino was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured hamate bone in his left hand. He fractured the bone on his RBI single to left field in the second inning of Thursday night’s game vs. the Twins.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• ALL ABOUT THE JI-MAN: INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .471 (8×17) with 2 runs scored, 4 extra-base hits (2-2B, 3B, HR), 1 RBI and 1 walk in last 4 games.
• BIG YEAR IN BULLPEN FOR HUNTER: LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 22 of 26 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 1-0 with 1 save and a 1.13 ERA (5 ER, 40.0 IP). He has limited opponents to a .207 (30×145), while walking 8 and striking out 27.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on Wednesday. He is one triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 29 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• SWEET HOME CHATTANOOGA: The Generals are 6-3 at AT&T Field this season and 25-12 since 2010 on the road in Chattanooga.
• KEN GRIFFEY JR. AND BRAD MILLER: Opening day Jackson shortstop Brad Miller was named the American League Player of the Week on Monday. In 3 games vs. the Astros, Miller hit .385 (5×13) with 4 runs scored, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and a 1.346 OPS. He recorded 2 home runs and a career-high 5 RBI Friday vs. the Astros He is the first Mariners rookie to earn the honor since Ken Griffey Jr. in 1989
• RAIN, RAIN GO AWAY: The Generals have been rained out 14 times this season and had 2 additional games suspended. The Generals have also had 5 games cancelled. Jackson leads the league having played 16 doubleheader games this season (7-9).
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 will be at The Ballpark in Jackson.
• WELCOME TO DOUBLE-A MR. LEONE: Generals reliever Dominic Leone is the 3rd member of the 2012 draft class to reach Double-A this season (Zunino, Taylor). The 21-year-old out of Clemson has tossed 4.0 hitless innings with 5 strikeouts in his first 3 Jackson outings, including his first save on Wednesday.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 54.2% of base stealers (52 CS, 96 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 36.0% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).