Game #100: Jackson Generals (15-18, 44-55) vs. Huntsville Stars (16-19, 45-58)
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (6-8, 2.99) vs. RHP Andy Moye (4-11, 4.47)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 5-game home series tonight with game #2 of the series against the Huntsville Stars…the Generals are 4-5 against the Stars this season and 1-3 at The Ballpark in Jackson against the Brewers AA affiliate…the Generals have won 3 of 4 series’ coming in and are 5-4 since the All-Star break…24-year-old LHP Roenis Elias makes his team-leading 19th start for the Generals coming off his season-high 10-strikeout performance last Wednesday in Chattanooga. It’s his 3rd start this season vs. HVL.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals allowed 7 runs over the first 5 innings as Jackson lost to Huntsville 7-2 on
Sunday. 2B Jack Marder (1×4, R), RF James Jones (1×2), 3B Ramon Morla (1×4, RBI), DH Ji- Man Choi (1×3, RBI, BB), 1B Daniel Paolini (1×4) and SS Gabriel Noriega (1×3, BB) each recorded 1 of the Generals 6 hits. Starter Jimmy Gillheeney (3.0,5,5,5,5,4,2HR) recorded his 5th loss of the season, allowing 5 run on 5 hits in 5.0 innings. RH Forrest Snow (4.0,1,2,2,2,4,HR) allowed a 2-run home run on the 4th inning, before holding the Stars hitless over the next 3.0 innings. RH Tyler Burgoon (2.0,0,0,0,1,2) walked 1 and struck out 2 in 2.0 hitless innings to close out the game.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .344 (11×32) with 3 runs scored, 4 extra-base hits (2-2B, 3B, HR), 4 RBI and 4 walks in last 8 games.
• INF Jack Marder has hit safely in each of his last 3 games, batting .455 (5×11) with 3 runs scored, 1 triple, 1 home run and 6 RBI.
• INF Ramon Morla has hit safely in 5 of his last 6 games, batting .400 (10×25) with 3 runs scored, 1 doubles, 1 home run, 4 RBI, 2 walks and 1 stolen base.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 99 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the 7th in all of minors…52 of 99 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-33) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 25-21.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2011 and 2012 General Nick Franklin has10 homers and 32 RBI this season, which leads all AL rookies for those two categories. His 10 HR are tied for 3rd-most in Mariners history in the first 52 games of a career…trails Alvin Davis (14 in 1984), Jose Cruz Jr. (12 in 1997), and Ken Griffey Jr. (10 in 1989).
• WELCOME BACK JOE: OF Joe Dunigan was activated to Jackson’s roster today as OF Denny Almonte was placed on the disabled list. Dunigan was hit in the face by a pitch on April 18th while with Tacoma and his missed 3 months this season.
• HOT HITTING ON CHATTANOOGA ROAD TRIP: The Generals took 3 of 5 in Chattanooga and batted .260 with 6 home runs, 6 triples, 7 doubles and 22 RBIs. The Generals out-scored the Lookouts 26-20.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on Wednesday. He is one triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 30 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• KEN GRIFFEY JR. AND BRAD MILLER: Opening day Jackson shortstop Brad Miller was named the American League Player of the Week on Monday. In 3 games vs. the Astros, Miller hit .385 (5×13) with 4 runs scored, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and a 1.346 OPS. He recorded 2 home runs and a career-high 5 RBI Friday vs. the Astros He is the first Mariners rookie to earn the honor since Ken Griffey Jr. in 1989.
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 will be at The Ballpark in Jackson. The Generals next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WELCOME TO DOUBLE-A MR. LEONE: Generals reliever Dominic Leone is the 3rd member of the 2012 draft class to reach Double-A. (Zunino, Taylor). The 21-year-old out of Clemson has tossed 5.0 scoreless innings on 1 hit, with 5 strikeouts in his first 4 Jackson outings, including his first save last Wednesday.