Game #101: Jackson Generals (15-19, 44-56) vs. Huntsville Stars (17-19, 46-58)
Streak: Lost 4
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (6-5, 4.60) vs. RHP Taylor Jungmann (9-6, 3.77)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 5-game home series tonight with game #3 of the series against the Huntsville Stars (0-2)…the Generals are 4-6 against the Stars this season and 1-4 at The Ballpark in Jackson against the Brewers AA affiliate…the Generals have won 4 of 5 series’ coming in and are 5-5 since the All-Star break… 22-year-old LHP Anthony Fernandez makes his 16th start of the year, 92nd of his career and 29th for the Generals tonight…In 4 starts in July, Fernandez is 1-2 with a 3.04 ERA (8ER/23.2) and opponents are hitting just .181 against him. In 4 career starts vs. HVL Fernandez is 2-2 with a 5.74 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: 1B Ji-Man Choi hit a 3-run triple with 2 outs in the bottom of the 3rd inning to take a 3-2 lead, but the Generals allowed 3 runs in the top of the 6th inning as Jackson lost to Huntsville 5-3 on Monday night. Choi (1×3, 3B, 3 RBI), SS Chris Taylor (1×4, 2B), DH Joe Dunigan (1×3, BB), C Michael Dowd (1×4, R) and 2B Jack Marder (1×3, R) each recorded 1 of the Generals 5 hits. Starter Roenis Elias (5.1,2,4,2,3,8,HR) allowed 4 runs (2 ER) on 2 hits and struck out 8 in 5.1 innings and suffered the loss. RH Stephen Shackleford (0.1,1,1,0,2,0) allowed 2 inherited runners to score and was charged with an additional run in the 6th inning. LH Nick Hill (1.1,1,0,0,1,0) and RH Carson Smith (2.0,2,0,0,0,2) combined to hold the Stars scoreless over the final 3.1 innings in relief.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .343 (12×35) with 3 runs scored, 5 extra-base hits (2-2B, 2-3B, HR), 7 RBI and 5 walks in last 9 games.
• INF Jack Marder has hit safely in each of his last 4 games, batting .429 (6×16) with 4 runs scored, 1 triple, 1 home run and 6 RBI.
• LHP Roenis Elias is 2-2 with a 3.22 ERA in the month of July and has 32 strikeouts in 22.1 innings including 18 in his last 10.1 innings pitched. Elias is T-1st in the Southern League with 107 strikeouts.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 100 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the 7th in all of minors…53 of 100 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-34) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 25-21.
• ALUMNI REPORT: In 37 games with AA Midland (OAK) since being traded by the Mariners, Vinnie Catricala is batting .217 with 1 home run and 18 RBIs. In 44 games with AA Lakeland (DET) since being traded Francisco Martinez is batting .303 with 3 home runs and 16 RBIs. He has 6 stolen bases.
• WELCOME BACK JOE: OF Joe Dunigan was activated to Jackson’s roster Monday after missing 3 months with a broken jaw. Dunigan ranks 3rd in Jackson franchise history with 42 home runs and 4th in RBIs with 144.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple last Wednesday in Chattanooga. He is one triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 31 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• KEN GRIFFEY JR. AND BRAD MILLER: Opening day Jackson shortstop Brad Miller was named the American League Player of the Week on Monday. In 3 games vs. the Astros, Miller hit .385 (5×13) with 4 runs scored, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and a 1.346 OPS. He recorded 2 home runs and a career-high 5 RBI Friday vs. the Astros He is the first Mariners rookie to earn the honor since Ken Griffey Jr. in 1989.
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days that started on July 23 to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 at The Ballpark in Jackson. Jackson’s next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WELCOME TO DOUBLE-A MR. LEONE: Generals reliever Dominic Leone is the 3rd member of the 2012 draft class to reach Double-A. (Zunino, Taylor). The 21-year-old out of Clemson has tossed 5.0 scoreless innings on 1 hit, with 5 strikeouts in his first 4 Jackson outings, including his first save last Wednesday.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.4% of base stealers (55 CS, 105 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 34.2% of base runners.