Game #102: Jackson Generals (16-19, 45-56) vs. Huntsville Stars (17-20, 46-60)
Streak: Won 1
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Vasquez (1-1, 3.09) vs. RHP Ariel Pena (5-7, 4.06)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 5-game home series tonight with game #4 of the series against the Huntsville Stars (1-2)…the Generals are 5-6 against the Stars this season and 2-4 at The Ballpark in Jackson against the Brewers AA affiliate…the Generals have won 4 of 5 series’ coming in and are 6-5 since the All-Star break…26-year-old LHP Anthony Vasquez makes his 7th Jackson start of the season and 10th overall in game 4 of the series. In 5 starts so far in July, Vasquez is 1-1, with a 2.37 ERA, holding opponents to a .184 average. In 3 career starts vs. HVL he is 2-1 with a 2.34 ERA. (2 starts in ‘11, 1 in ‘10)
GENERALS RECAP: DH Julio Morban hit 2 triples and drove in 2 runs as Jackson defeated Huntsville 5-1 on Tuesday night. Morban (2×3, 2 R, 2 3B, 2 RBI, BB) and 1B Ji-Man Choi (2×3, 2 RBI, BB) each recorded 3 hits, while CF James Jones (1×4, R, RBI) and C John Hicks (1×2, BB) each recorded 1 of the Generals 6 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (7.2,5,1,0,2,4) earned his team-leading 7th win of the season, allowing 1 run (0 ER) on 5 hits in 7.2 innings. RH Dominic Leone (1.1,1,0,0,0,0,3) recorded the final 4 outs, including 3 strikeouts.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .368 (14×38) with 3 runs scored, 5 extra-base hits (2-2B, 2-3B, HR), 9 RBI and 6 walks in last 10 games.
LHP Anthony Fernandez went 2-2 with a 2.30 ERA (8 ER, 31.1 IP) in 5 starts in July.
• LHP Roenis Elias is 2-2 with a 3.22 ERA in the month of July and has 32 strikeouts in 22.1 innings including 18 in his last 10.1 innings pitched. Elias is T-1st in the Southern League with 107 strikeouts.
• RH Dominic Leone has tossed 6.1 scoreless innings since being promoted to Jackson from High Desert. He has limited opponents to a .095 average (2×21), while walking 0 and striking out 9 in 5 relief appearances. Dating back to June 16 with High Desert, Leone has tossed 16.2 scoreless innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 101 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the 7th in all of minors…53 of 101 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-34) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 26-21.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2011 and 2012 General and current Tacoma utility man Nate Tenbrink currently has an 8-game hit streak for Tacoma, batting .393 (11×28) with 9 runs scored, 1 double, 4 home runs, 9 RBI, 6 walks and 1 stolen base.
• GENERALS AT THE TRADING DEADLINE: The Generals have been affected by the trading deadline the last 3 years. Last season Jackson added RHP Logan Bawcom from the Dodgers in the Brandon League deal. In ‘11 Jackson added INF Francisco Martinez and OF Chih-Hsien Chiang in the Eric Bedard trade with Boston. In ‘10 Jackson added INF Matt Lawson, RHP Josh Leuke and RHP Blake Beavan in the Cliff Lee deal with the Rangers.
• WELCOME BACK JOE: OF Joe Dunigan was activated to Jackson’s roster Monday after missing 3 months with a broken jaw. Dunigan ranks 3rd in Jackson franchise history with 42 home runs and 4th in RBIs with 144.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple last Wednesday in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 33 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days that started on July 23 to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 at The Ballpark in Jackson. Jackson’s next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.8% of base stealers (56 CS, 106 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 33.9% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).