Game #125: Jackson Generals (28-30, 57-67) at Mobile BayBears (32-27, 71-57)
Streak: Lost 4
Site: Hank Aaron Stadium – Mobile, Ala
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Vasquez (1-3, 3.86) vs. RHP Bo Schultz (5-3, 2.79)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio, Pregame Show (5:50) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals wrap up a 7-game series in 4 days tonight at Mobile (2-4) with the first 9-inning game of the set…this season Jackson is 6-8 against the BayBears and 3-6 at Hank Aaron Stadium…the Generals and BayBears played 6 games during the last 3 days and played 44 innings in 53 hours…Jackson begins the final homestand of the season starting Friday, a 5-game series vs. Chattanooga.
GENERALS RECAP: Jackson dropped their 2nd straight doubleheader to the Mobile BayBears (32-27) with 1-0 and 2-1 losses on Wednesday at Hank Aaron Stadium. Both games featured sharp pitching and little offense. The BayBears take the series with the win having won four of six in the seven-game set. The story of game 1 was pitching. Trevor Miller (ND, 2-1, 4.04) tossed what could be considered his best start of the year going 7.2 shutout innings, allowing only 4 hits. Miller did give up 4 free passes in the game, but struck out 5 in the no decision. The right-hander threw a season-high 110 pitches but never got any run support thanks to Mobile starter David Holmberg. In game 2 2B Jack Marder (1-2, HR, RBI, R) was the lone offensive spark with his solo shot in the 2nd. It was his 4th long ball of the season. RF Chantz Mack (1-3, SB, K) made his debut with a hit in his first at-bat. DH Jabari Blash (1-1, 2 BB) stayed hot by reaching base in all three at-bats in the game. Left-hander Cam Hobson (L, 0-1, 3.00) in his AA debut threw 109 pitches through 6 innings. He gave up 2 runs through the first 3 innings, but shut the door after that. Hobson scattered 7 hits, walked 4 and struck out 4.
NEWS & NOTES: 44 of 124 games have been 1-run games (18-26) which is the 6th in all of minors…63 of 124 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (23-39) and 16 have been extra-inning games (5-11)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-26.
• MOBILE MEGA BOWL BY THE NUMBERS: The Generals played 6 games in 3 days August 20-22 at Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile. The 3 days included 44 innings in 53 hours, 2 extra inning games, 3 1-run games and 14 hours and 37 minutes of game duration. August 20th games were not considered a doubleheader because G1 was the completion of a suspended game from August 6th.
• ROSTER SHAKE UP: During the last week the Generals have lost top offensive players Ji-Man Choi (promoted to AAA) and Julio Morban (broken right fibula) while losing top starter LHP Roenis Elias (Appendectomy). Morban and Choi had combined for 140 hits, 30 doubles, 8 triples, 16 home runs and 83 RBIs. Elias had a 3.18 ERA in 22 starts and was 3rd in the SL with 121 strikeouts.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 33 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 9 saves and a 1.12 ERA (5 ER, 40.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 1.96. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 35 of 40 games (64 strikeouts).
• THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 26.0 innings (1.04 ERA). During this 14-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 while lowering his season ERA from 3.60 to 2.78.
• ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Generals are making their 2nd trip to Mobile in 2 weeks and playing 7 games in 4 days including the resuming of a suspended game and 3 doubleheaders in 3 days. 6 of Jackson’s final 11 games will come on the road.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash currently has a 5-game hitting streak and has a hit in 13 of his first 18 Double-A games batting .306 (19×62) with 5 of his 19 hits being home runs. Blash belted a homer in his first Jackson at-bat on August 2 at Mobile…hit 2 home runs vs. Montgomery on August 15. He leads the Mariners farm system with 21 long balls this season.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• TAYLOR HAVING A GREAT AUGUST: INF Chris Taylor is batting .325 (27×83) with 15 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 6 RBI, 10 walks and 5 stolen bases in 22 games in August.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 18 doubleheaders this season and are 12-14 in 7-inning games.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 5 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 39 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.