Game #127: Jackson Generals (28-32, 57-69) vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (22-38, 57-73)
Streak: Lost 6
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 6:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (6-6, 3.87) vs. RHP Garrett Gould (2-4, 4.60)
Promotions: SEC Night (Ticket Giveaways), SEC Themed Fireworks (FOX 16)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN, Pregame Show (5:50) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their final homestand of the season tonight with game #2 of a 5-game series with the Chattanooga Lookouts (0-1)…this season Jackson is 8-8 against the Lookouts and 2-4 at The Ballpark in Jackson…the Generals have dropped 6 straight games which is a season low…Jackson will wrap up the season with a 5-game series at Huntsville starting next Thursday.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals held a 2-1 lead before allowing a run in the top of the 8th and another in the 10th as Jackson lost to Chattanooge 3-2 on Friday night. 3B Ramon Morla (3×5, 2 2B, RBI) led the team with 3 hits, while LF Jabari Blash (2×2, 2 R, HR, RBI, 3 BB) recorded the team’s only other multi-hit game. Starter Moises Hernandez (5.0,2,1,1,0,3,HR) made his 2nd start of the season, allowing 1 run on 2 hits in a 5.0 inning no decision. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (2.0,1,0,0,1,3), LH Nick Hill (0.2,2,1,1,1,0), RH Dominic Leone (1.1,1,0,0,0,2) and RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,2,1,1,1,1) combined to allow 2 runs over 5.0 innings in relief. Shackleford recorded his 2nd loss after allowing a run in the top of the 10th inning.
NEWS & NOTES: 45 of 126 games have been 1-run games (18-27) which is the 6th in all of minors…64 of 126 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (23-40) and 17 have been extra-inning games (5-12)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-26.
• MOBILE MEGA BOWL BY THE NUMBERS: The Generals played 7 games in 4 days August 19-22 which included 53 innings at Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile in 77 hours. The first 3 days included 44 innings in 53 hours, 2 extra inning games, 3 1-run games and 14 hours and 37 minutes of game duration. There were 1,442 pitches during those 3 days. The August 20 games were not considered a doubleheader because G1 was the completion of a suspended game from August 6th.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash has hit safely in each of his last 7 games, batting .450 (9×20) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 5 RBI and 9 walks. He has a hit in 15 of his first 20 Double-A games batting .319 (22×69) with 6 of his 21 hits being home runs. Blash belted a homer in his first Jackson at-bat on August 2 at Mobile…hit 2 home runs vs. Montgomery on August 15. He leads the Mariners farm system with 22 HR.
• ROSTER SHAKE UP: During the last week the Generals have lost top offensive players Ji-Man Choi (promoted to AAA) and Julio Morban (broken right fibula) while losing top starter LHP Roenis Elias (Appendectomy). Morban and Choi had combined for 140 hits, 30 doubles, 8 triples, 16 home runs and 83 RBIs. Elias had a 3.18 ERA in 22 starts and was 3rd in the SL with 121 strikeouts.
• CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith since June 21st has made 19 relief outings going 7-for-7 in save oppertunities with a 0.35 ERA in 26 innings, 13 hits, 1 earned run, 39 strikeouts and 10 walks. He has allowed just 1 extra-base hit during that span.
• THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 28.0 innings (0.96 ERA). During this 14-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 while lowering his season ERA from 3.60 to 2.43.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• TAYLOR HAVING A GREAT AUGUST: INF Chris Taylor is batting .341 (31×91) with 16 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 6 RBI, 12 walks and 7 stolen bases in 24 games in August.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 18 doubleheaders this season and are 12-14 in 7-inning games.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 5 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 39 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.6% of base stealers (64 CS, 124 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 35.1% of base stealers.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:...there are currently (8) players on the Seattle Mariners roster that were a member of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Carter Capps, RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) RHP Yoervis Medina and RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).