Game #128: Jackson Generals (28-32, 57-70) vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (23-38, 58-73)
Streak: Lost 7
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 6:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (9-7, 4.25) vs. LHP Chris Reed (4-1, 3.68)
Promotions: Season Ticket Holder Picnic, Kids Run the Bases (JEA)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN, Pregame Show (5:50) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their final homestand of the season tonight with game #3 of a 5-game series with the Chattanooga Lookouts (0-2)…this season Jackson is 8-9 against the Lookouts and 2-5 at The Ballpark in Jackson…the Generals have dropped 7 straight games which is a season low…Jackson will wrap up the season with a 5-game series at Huntsville starting next Thursday.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals out-hit the Lookouts 11-8, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson lost to Chattanooga 7-4 on Saturday night. SS Gabriel Noriega (2×5, R, 3B), DH Chris Taylor (2×5, R, RBI, SB), 3B Ramon Morla (2×5, RBI), CF Denny Almonte (2×5, 2 R, SB) and 2B Jack Marder (2×4, RBI) each recorded 2 of the team’s 11 hits. LF Jabari Blash reached base safely in all 5 of his player appearances, without recording an official at-bat (4 BB, HBP). Starter Jimmy Gillheeney (6.2,6,5,5,1,6,2HR) recorded his 7th loss with Jackson, allowing 5 runs on 6 hits over 6.2 innings. RH Tyle Burgoon (2.1,2,2,2,0,2,2HR) allowed 2 solo home runs in each the 8th and 9th innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 45 of 127 games have been 1-run games (18-27) which is the 6th in all of minors…64 of 127 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (23-40) and 17 have been extra-inning games (5-12)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-27.
• REACHING BASE SAFELY IS A BLASH-T: OF Jabari Blash has hit safely in each of his last 7 game, batting .450 (9×20) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 5 RBI and 13 walks. He also has reached base in 10 straight plate appearances (7 BB, HBP, HR, 1B) He has a hit in 15 of his first 21 Double-A games batting .319 (22×69) with 6 of his 21 hits being home runs. Blash belted a homer in his first Jackson at-bat on August 2 at Mobile…hit 2 home runs vs. Montgomery on August 15. He leads the Mariners farm system with 22 HR.
• TAYLOR’S HOT AUGUST CONTINUES: INF Chris Taylor is batting .344 (33×96) with 17 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 7 RBI, 12 walks and 8 stolen bases in 25 games in August.
• LOSING STREAK BY THE NUMBERS: The Generals are currently on a 7-game losing streak, but have out-hit their opponents in each of the last 3 losses. The Generals have out-hit their opponents 58-57 during the losing streak. During the skid Jackson is 9-for-64 (.141) with runners in scoring position.
• ROSTER SHAKE UP: During the last week the Generals have lost top offensive players Ji-Man Choi (promoted to AAA) and Julio Morban (broken right fibula) while losing top starter LHP Roenis Elias (Appendectomy). Morban and Choi had combined for 140 hits, 30 doubles, 8 triples, 16 home runs and 83 RBIs. Elias had a 3.18 ERA in 22 starts and was 3rd in the SL with 121 strikeouts.
• MOBILE MEGA BOWL BY THE NUMBERS: The Generals played 7 games in 4 days August 19-22 which included 53 innings at Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile in 77 hours. The first 3 days included 44 innings in 53 hours, 2 extra inning games, 3 1-run games and 14 hours and 37 minutes of game duration. There were 1,442 pitches during those 3 days. The August 20 games were not considered a doubleheader because G1 was the completion of a suspended game from August 6th.
• CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith since June 21st has made 19 relief outings going 7-for-7 in save oppertunities with a 0.35 ERA in 26 innings, 13 hits, 1 earned run, 39 strikeouts and 10 walks. He has allowed just 1 extra-base hit during that span.
• THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 28.0 innings (0.96 ERA). During this 14-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 while lowering his season ERA from 3.60 to 2.43.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 18 doubleheaders this season and are 12-14 in 7-inning games.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 5 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 39 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.6% of base stealers (64 CS, 124 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 35.0% of base stealers.