Game #129: Jackson Generals (29-32, 58-70) vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (23-39, 58-74)
Streak: Won 1
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (9-7, 4.25) vs. LHP Chris Reed (4-1, 3.68)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN, Pregame Show (6:50) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their final homestand of the season tonight with game #4 of a 5-game series with the Chattanooga Lookouts (1-2)…this season Jackson is 9-9 against the Lookouts and 3-5 at The Ballpark in Jackson…the Generals elimination number is 1 with 7 games remaining in the 2013 season…Jackson will wrap up the season with a 5-game series at Huntsville starting on Thursday.
GENERALS RECAP: After one of the craziest finishes to a baseball game you will see, Jackson (29-33) notched a 4-3 victory over the Chattanooga Lookouts (23-39) and ended its 7-game losing streak. The game ended in the bottom of the ninth on a throwing error by Lookouts pitcher Steve Smith that scored Chris Taylor after Gabriel Noreiga was called out trying to score on a wild pitch by Smith. The Generals had a runner on base in every inning except one and though they struggled to bring in runs the home time team grabbed the victory in walk-off fashion. They out-hit the Lookouts for the third straight night, 10-7.
NEWS & NOTES: 46 of 128 games have been 1-run games (19-27) which is the T-1st in the Southern League…65 of 128 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (24-40) and 17 have been extra-inning games (5-12)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-27.
• BLASH NAMED SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: The Southern League announced Monday that Jabari Blash has been named the Southern League’s Hitter of the Week for August 19-25. During the week Blash batted .500 (12×24) with 2 2B, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 4 R and 14 BB in 9 games. Blash also posted a .692 on-base percentage. Blash joins Brad Miller, Julio Morban and Ji-Man Choi as winners of the award this season. He has hit safely in each of his last 8 games, batting .417 (10×24) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 6 RBI and 13 walks.
• TAYLOR’S HOT AUGUST CONTINUES: INF Chris Taylor is batting .356 (36×101) with 18 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 7 RBI, 12 walks and 9 stolen bases in 26 games in August.
• JONES RETURNS FROM THE DL: James Jones suffered a strained left triceps muscle on August 1 vs. Huntsville. In 98 games this season, Jones is batting .276 (97×351) with 13 2B, 10 3B, 6 HR, 45 RBIs and 26 stolen bases. Jones leads the Southern League with 10 triples and is 1 shy of Jackson’s franchise record for triples in a single season. Chantz Mack was sent back to Short-A Everett on Monday.
• ROSTER SHAKE UP: During the last week the Generals have lost top offensive players Ji-Man Choi (promoted to AAA) and Julio Morban (broken right fibula) while losing top starter LHP Roenis Elias (Appendectomy). Morban and Choi had combined for 140 hits, 30 doubles, 8 triples, 16 home runs and 83 RBIs. Elias had a 3.18 ERA in 22 starts and was 3rd in the SL with 121 strikeouts.
• MOBILE MEGA BOWL BY THE NUMBERS: The Generals played 7 games in 4 days August 19-22 which included 53 innings at Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile in 77 hours. The first 3 days included 44 innings in 53 hours, 2 extra inning games, 3 1-run games and 14 hours and 37 minutes of game duration. There were 1,442 pitches during those 3 days. The August 20 games were not considered a doubleheader because G1 was the completion of a suspended game from August 6th.
• CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith since June 21st has made 20 relief outings going 7-for-7 in save oppertunities with a 0.34 ERA in 26.2 innings, 13 hits, 1 earned run, 40 strikeouts and 10 walks. He has allowed just 1 extra-base hit during that span.
• THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 28.0 innings (0.96 ERA). During this 14-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 while lowering his season ERA from 3.60 to 2.43.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 18 doubleheaders this season and are 12-14 in 7-inning games.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 5 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 39 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.0% of base stealers (65 CS, 125 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 34.8% of base stealers.