Game #133: Jackson Generals (33-33, 62-70) at Huntsville Stars (27-40, 56-79)
Streak: Won 5
Site: Joe Davis Stadium – Huntsville, Alabama
Time: 6:43 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (9-7, 4.26) vs. RHP Taylor Jungmann (9-10, 4.38)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN, Pregame Show (6:28) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals, riding a season-best 5-game winning streak continue their final series of the season tonight with the game #3 of a 5-game road series with the Huntsville Stars (2-0)…this season Jackson is 9-6 against the Stars and 5-2 at Hank Aaron Stadium…the Generals also close out the month of August tonight and are 16-14 during the month.
GENERALS RECAP: RF Jabari Blash hit 2 home runs and drove in 5 runs as part of an 8-run 4th inning as Jackson defeated Huntsville 8-5 on Friday night. Blash (2×4, 2 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI) recorded his 3rd multi-home run game of the season (also: 8/15 vs. Montgomery w/JAC & 4/16 vs. Lancaster w/HD) while recording his 24th and 25th home run in 2013 (9 with Jackson). 2B Jack Marder (3×4, R, 2B) recorded the team’s only other multi-hit game, while LF Leon Landry (1×4, R, RBI), C John Hicks (1×4, BB), 3B Ramon Morla (1×5), DH Steven Proscia (1×3, R, BB) and CF Denny Almonte (1×3, R, 2B, RBI, BB) each recorded 1 of the Generals 10 hits. Starter Jimmy Gillheeney (6.1,5,4,3,1,4) recorded his 7th win with Jackson (9th overall), allowing 4 runs (3 ER) on 5 hits in 6.1 innings. LH Kyle Hunter (0.2,1,0,0,0,0) and RH Dominic Leone (2.0,2,1,1,1,0,HR) combined to allow 1 run over the final 2.2 innings in relief.
NEWS & NOTES: 47 of 132 games have been 1-run games (20-27) which is the T-1st in the Southern League…67 of 132 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (26-41) and 17 have been extra-inning games (5-12)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 33-27.
• BLASH-T OFF IN DOUBLE-A: OF Jabari Blash has hit safely in 18 of 25 games since being promoted to Jackson, batting .326 (29×89) with 13 runs scored, 3 doubles, 9 home runs, 21 RBI and 19 walks. Blash homered twice in the 4th inning on Friday and has 25 home runs this season leading all of Mariners Minor Leaguers. His 5 RBIs during the 4th inning was the most in a single inning in franchise history.
• NO DOG DAYS FOR TAYLOR: INF Chris Taylor is batting .333 (38×114) with 22 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 8 RBI, 17 walks and 10 stolen bases in 30 games in August.
• THE SEATTLE GENERALS: Taijuan Walker and Abraham Almonte became the 9th and 10th different 2012 General to make their MLB debut this season for the Mariners last night…they joined Mike Zunino, Jesus Sucre, Brandon Bantz, Brad Miller, Nick Franklin, Yoervis Medina, Brandon Maurer and Bobby LaFromboise… Seattle had 8 MLB debuts in 2012, and 12 during the 2011 season.
• WALKER WINS AND MAKES HISTORY IN MLB DEBUT FRIDAY: Taijuan Walker became the youngest Mariners starting pitcher to win his MLB debut last night at 21.017 years of age…Walker is just the 11th pitcher in Mariners history to win his starting debut; he is just the second (joining Pat Rice, 5/18/91 @NYY) to not allow an earned run AND record a win…Erik Hanson (9/5/88 @MIN) is the only other starter to allow 0 ER in his debut, but he lost 2-0.
• BLACK JACK IS BACK: INF Jack Marder currently has a 4-game hit streak, batting (8×15) with 1 run scored, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 BB and 1 stolen base.
• GENERALS WELL REPRESENTED IN AFL: There are 3 current Generals headed to play for the Peoria Javelinas in the prestegious Arizona Fall League. Infielder Chris Taylor and relievers Carson Smith and Dominic Leone will represent Jackson along with former Generals Danny Hultzen, Brandon Maurer, Stefen Romero and High Desert infielder Patrick Kivlehan. The squad will be managed by Jackson’s Jim Pankovits.
• BLASH NAMED SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: OF Jabari Blash was named Southern League Player of the Week, for Aug. 19-25. In 9 games last week, Blash led the Southern Leauge in average (.500/12×24), on-base percentage (1.526) and walks (14). Overall he hit .500 (12×24) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, 14 walks. Blash was promoted to AA Jackson from A High Desert on Aug. 2. In 22 game, he is batting .315 (23×73) with 9 runs scored, 3 doubles, 6 home runs, 12 RBI and 18 walks.
• CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith has allowed only 1 earned run over his last 27.2 innings (0.33 ERA), including 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings (since July 23). After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 37 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 11 saves and a 1.03 ERA (5 ER, 43.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 1.84. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 38 of 43 games (70 strikeouts).
• THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 30.2 innings (0.88 ERA). During this 17-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 with 1 save while lowering his season ERA from 3.60 to 2.33.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 50.8% of base stealers (66 CS, 130 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 35.0% of base stealers.