Game #41: Jackson Generals (17-23) vs. Montgomery Biscuits (21-19) | 7:05 pm | The Ballpark at Jackson
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Matt Anderson (0-1, 24.30) vs. RHP Victor Mateo (5-3, 3.38)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue the 5-game series with Montgomery with game 2 of the set …this is the 2nd leg of rain-shortened 9-game homestand (2-3) with Tennessee and Montgomery…have dropped 5 straight series’ after winning first 3.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals scored 5 runs in the 2nd inning and 3 more in the 4th inning, as Jackson cruised to an 8-2 win over Montgomery on Thursday night.
• SS Ketel Marte (2×4, 2 R, 2B, 3B, 4 RBI) and CF Nate Melendres (2×4, 2B, 3 RBI, SB), the Generals 1-2 batters in the lineups, combined to drive in 7 of the team’s 8 runs on 4 hits. • 3B Patrick Kivlehan (2×4, R) and RF Kevin Rivers (2×4, R) each recorded 2 of the Generals 11 hits.
• Starter Tyler Olson (5.0,4,2,2,1,0) recorded his first Double-A win, allowing 2 runs on 4 hits in 5.0 innings. LH Kyle Hunter (4.0,5,0,0,0,4) earned his 1st save of the season after hold the Biscuits scoreless over the final 4.0 innings in relief
SOLDIER ON THE HILL RETURNS TO JACKSON:
• LHP Nick Hill was transferred to Jackson from AAA Tacoma on Thursday after appearing in 11 games (1 start) for the Rainiers.
• Hill has pitched 115 games for the Jackson franchise dating back to 2009, including 11 starts and 3 complete games in 2009.
• Hill is a Tennessee native from Bluff City, TN and went to Sullivan East High Schoo. From there he went on to the United States Military Academy.
PIZZANO JOINS GENERALS FROM HIGH DESERT:
• Former Ivy League Player of the Year in 2012, OF Dario Pizzano has joined the Generals from A+ High Desert where he was leading the CAL League in doubles (16)
• Pizzano led all Mariners farmhands in 2013 with 40 doubles, while ranking T6th amongst all minor league players
DOWD PUTTING TOGETHER A SOLID MAY:
• C Mike Dowd saw his 5-game hitting streak come to an end on Thursday, but in May Dowd is batting .280 (7×25) with 1 triple, 1 home run, 3 RBI and a .357 OBP.
HICKS AND PAOLINI REACHING BASE:
• C John Hicks had an RBI and a triple last night and extended his on-base streak to 16 games. During the streak Hicks is batting .250 (15×60), with 2 doubles, 1 triiple, 6 runs, 7 walks, 9 RBI and a .324 OBP. It’s the longest active streak in the league.
• INF Dan Paolini had his 14-game on-base streak end on Thursday night. During the streak he batted .244 (11×45) with 3 doubles, 1 home run, 5 runs, 10 RBI and 14 walks. His on-base percentage is .429
KETEL MARTE REMAINS A TOUGH OUT:
• SS Ketel Marte has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games, batting .352 (19×54) with 9 runs scored, 6 doubles, 6 RBI, 3
walks and 8 stolen baes. After recording only 2 stolen bases in his first 17 games to begin the season, Marte has stolen 11 bases in his last 19 games..
• Marte currently ranks T-2nd in AVG (.329), 2nd in doubles (12), 4th in stolen bases (13) and 3rd in hits (47) in the SL.
IT’S BEEN AN OFFENSIVE HOMESTAND:
• During the first 5 games of the homestand Jackson has scored 42 runs and posted a .305 AVG with 3 home runs and 41 RBIs.
• So far there have been 87 runs scored in total during the first 5 games of the rain shortened 9-game homestand.
BRING ON THE BISCUITS:
• Montgomery and Jackson meet 20 total times in 2014, which is the 2nd-longest season series (Huntsville). Thus far Jackson leads the 2014 series 1-0.
• In 2013 the Generals went 10-5 against the Tampa Bay Rays AA affiliate including 7-3 in games played in Jackson.
• OF Leon Landry batted just .163 (8×49) against Montgomery. last year, but had 3 of his 6 HR of 2014 in 13 games against the Biscuits. He also had 8 RBI.
• Last season Jackson pitching posted a 2.53 ERA in the 15 games against Montgomery.
30-RUN GAME SUNDAY WAS RECORD BREAKING:
• The Smokies defeated the Generals Sunday night 17-13 and it was the most combined runs involving Jackson or West Tenn in franchise history.
• The 30 runs combined were 5 short of the league record (35 in 1988, Orlando 18, Huntsville 17), but it was the first time in league history that 30 runs have been scored without a home run.
• The game involved 29 hits, 5 errors, 20 runners left on bas1e and 15 of 18 starters had hits, 16 of 18 scored runs, 14 of 18 produced RBI’s. Every Smokies starter scored at least 2 runs except for Anthony Giansanti (0).
• The time of game, 3 hours, 55 minutes was the longest 9 inning game this season in the Southern League.