Game #71: Jackson Generals 0-1 (31-39) at Mississippi Braves 1-0 (40-30)
Time/Place: 7:00 pm CT | Trustmark Park
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Stephen Landazuri (3-2, 4.38) vs. RHP Aaron Northcraft (7-3, 2.87)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue the first series of the second half with game two of a five-game road series against the Mississippi Braves (0-1)…the Generals have won three straight series winning 3 of 5 in each of them…are 3-3 against the M-Braves this season.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• Starter Tyler Olson tossed 4.0 hitless innings before allowing 4 runs in the 5th inning as Jackson fell 9-4 to Mississippi on Thursday night.
• SS Ketel Marte (3×4, 2 R, SB) led the team with 3 hits, while 2B Jack Marder (2×4, RBI) recorded the Jackson’s only other multi-hit game. CF Jamal Austin (1×4, 3B, RBI) and 1B Dan Paolini (0x3, RBI, BB) joined Marder as the only Generals players to drive in a run.
• Olson (5.0,4,4,4,2,5) recorded his 3rd loss with Jackson, allowing 4 runs on 4 hits in 5.0 innings. RH Moises Hernandez (1.1,2,2,2,0,1), LH Kyle Hunter (0.2,2,1,1,0,1) and RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,3,2,2,0,2) combined to allow 5 runs over the final 3.0 innings in relief.
AUSTIN NOW HAS LEAGUE-LEADING HIT STREAK:
OF Jamal Austin picked up a base hit in his final at-bat last night and currently has a 15-game hit steak, batting .393 (24×61) with 13 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 5 RBI and 5 stolen bases.This streak is the longest streak in the Southern League this season.
Longest Hitting Streaks in the Southern League this season:
1 Jamal Austin JXN 15G 5/29-current
2 Chris Curley BIR 14G 5/28-6/11
T-3 Mike Freeman MOB 13G 4/21-5/5
T-3 Patrick Kivlehan JXN 13G 6/3-current
T-3 Ketel Marte JXN 13G 5/25-6/7
T-3 Darnell Sweeney CHA 13G 4/20-5/3
KIVLEHAN PUSHES ON-BASE STREAK TO 24 GAMES:
• 3B Patrick Kivlehan currently has a 12-game hitting streak, batting .477 (21×44) with 8 runs scored, 6 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 14 RBI, 5 walks and 1 stolen base. After going just 4-for-35 in his first 10 Jackson games from May 10-21, Kivlehan has reached base safely in 24 straight games since May 22, batting .388 (33×85) with 13 runs scored, 7 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs, 22 RBI, 12 walks and a .455 OBP. He has raised his season average from .114 to .308.
Longest On-Base Streaks in the Southern League this season:
1. John Andreoli TNS 30G 4/6-5/11
T-2 Kris Bryant TNS 24G 4/3-4/28
T-2 Patrick Kivlehan JXN 24G 5/22-current
3. Rey Navarro PNS 23G 5/23-current
4 Nick Shaw HVL 22G 4/30-5/28
T-5 John Hicks JXN 21G 4/17-5/23
T-5 Chris Curley BIR 21G 5/23-6/13
ODDS AND ENDS:
• On Top of the League in June – Despite the current 3-game losing streak, the Generals are tied with Mobile and Pensacola for the best record at 9-6 in June. The .317 batting average leads the league in June and is only club over .300. This is after posting the first 20-loss month since June, 2007 by going 9-20 during the month of May.
• Need For Speed – The Generals lead the league with 70 steals as a team this season. OF Jamal Austin ranks 4th in SL with 19.
• Life on the Road – 3B Patrick Kivlehan (15) and 1B Mickey Wiswall (10) have the longest current road hitting streaks in the SL.
• SS Ketel Marte has hit safely in 19 of his last 20 games, batting .341 (28×82) with 14 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 12 RBI, 1 walk and 4 stolen base.
• INF Jack Marder has recorded 8 multi-hit efforts in his last 17 games, batting .358 (24×67) with 13 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs, 12 RBI and 5 walks.
• OF Leon Landry had his 9-game hit streak end last night, but has hit safely in 9 of his last 10 games with 6 multi-hit efforts, batting .405 (15×37) with 9 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 1 walk and 2 stolen bases.
• C John Hicks is batting .352 (31×88) with 15 runs scored, 7 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 12 RBI, 7 walks and 4 stolen bases in 23 games. During this stretch, since May 6, he has raised his season average from .219 to .291.
PIKE ADDED TO YOUNG GENERALS ROTATION:
• LHP Tyler Pike was added to Jackson’s roster on Thursday and at 20.145 years old is the 2nd-youngest in the rotation. The starting 5 of Pike, Stephen Landazuri (22.165), Matt Anderson (22.214), Victor Sanchez (19.141) and Tyler Olson (24.261) has an average age of 21.585 and is the youngest in the Southern League.