Game #109: Jackson Generals 17-22 (48-60) vs. Montgomery Biscuits 20-20 (55-55)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | Ballpark at Jackson | Jackson, Tennessee
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Cam Hobson (6-8, 3.53) vs. RHP Mike Colla (6-10, 4.54)
Promotions: Dollar Thursday, Scott Myatt Post Game Concert
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• On Thursday, the Generals open a 5-game series with Montgomery at The Ballpark at Jackson (0-0)…the Generals are 4-6 against the Biscuits this season and 2-3 in Jackson…the Generals have won 3 of the last 5 series and won 4 of 5 in last homestand vs. Huntsville…dropped 4 of 5 on recent road trip to Mobile.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• RF Patrick Kivlehan hit a 2-run home run in the 6th inning, but the Generals could not overcome a 7-run 3rd inning as Jackson fell to Mobile 7-3 on Wednesday night.
• Kivlehan (1×3, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB), SS Ketel Marte (1×4, R), LF Dario Pizzano (1×3, BB), DH Jordy Lara (1×4, 2B) and 1B Dan Paolini (1×2, BB) each recorded 1 of the team’s 5 hits.
• Starter Tyler Pike (2.2,7,7,7,2,4) recorded his 2nd loss with Jackson after allowing 7 runs in the 3rd inning. RH Trevor Miller (3.1,4,0,0,1,3) and RH Matt Brazis (2.0,1,0,0,0,2) combined to hold the BayBears scoreless over the final 5.1 innings in relief.
STARTERS HAVE 5 QUALITY STARTS IN LAST 9 GAMES:
• Over the last 9 games, Jackson’s starting rotation has a 3.80 ERA (19ER/45IP) and have issued 5 quality starts over that time.
• Victor Sanchez is 2-0 with a 2.02 ERA (8 ER, 35.2 IP) in 6 starts in July. Duing this stretch he has limited opponents to a .198 (25×126) average, while walking 9 and striking out 28.
JULY IS NOW THE WINNINGEST MONTH OF 2014 SEASON:
• The Generals picked up their 14th win of July Monday night in Mobile. Jackson won 13 games in April and 12 games in June. This month Jackson is batting .275 (T-1st in SL) with 19 home runs and the pitching staff has a 3.82 ERA.
KIVLEHAN HAVING MONSTER SEASON FOR JACKSON:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks 3rd in the Southern League in batting (.316) and 4th in slugging percentage (.519). Kivlehan also ranks 7th in the M’s organization in average (.307), T-4th in HR (17) and 2nd in RBI (88). Those numbers combined between Jackson and High Desert.
• Kivlehan has a .373 (25×67) average with RISP with 5 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs and 39 RBI and a .460 OBP. He is also batting .500 (3×6) with the bases loaded and 6 RBI.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Bring on the Biscuits – The Generals are 4-6 this season against Montgomery and 2-3 in Jackson…the Generals are batting .284 with 6 home runs, 23 doubles, 4 triples and 54 runs scored in 10 games.
• The pitching staff has a 4.69 ERA, surrendering 12 home runs and 54 total runs in the 10 games played.
• Relieving Guaipe – RHP Mayckol Gaipe picked up his team-leading 8th save Monday and has a 2.42 ERA in 29 games this season, with 42 strikeouts… ranks 3rd among SL relievers having just walked 8 batters in 44.2 IP…he also ranks 2nd in fewest baserunners/9IP ratio at 8.26 (41/44.2 IP).
• Landry is the toughest in the league to strikeout – OF Leon Landry leads the Southern League in fewest strikeouts, fanning just once in every 9.15 at-bats.
• Summer of Hitting – The Generals are leading the Southern League in batting since June 1st, batting .281 (491/1,745) with 30 home runs, 102 doubles and 24 triples in 52 games.
• July Is Pizza Time – OF Dario Pizzano leads the club batting .329 (24×73) in the month of July with 12 runs, 5 doubles, 4 triples, 2 home runs, 17 RBI’s and a .452 OBP.
• Miller Time – Since being moved to the bullpen on June 22, RHP Trevor Miller has a 2-1 record, with a 2.08 ERA (7ER/30.1IP) in 11 games, striking out 31 and walking 11.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 13 of his last 14 games, batting .370 (20×54) with 9 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 2 home runs, 13 RBI and 6 walks. He also has hit safely in 18 of his last 20 games, batting .378 (28×74) with 15 runs scored, 7 doubles, 4 triples, 3 home runs, 18 RBI and 8 walks.