Game #113: Jackson Generals 20-24 (51-62) vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos 17-28 (48-67)
Time/Place: 6:30 pm CT | Pensacola Bayfront Stadium | Jackson, Tennessee
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Cam Hobson (6-9, 4.14) vs. RHP Ben Lively (1-5, 3.48)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals open a 5-game road series at Pensacola today with game 1 of the set…Generals have won 4 of last 6 series’ coming in and won 3 of 5 from Montgomery in last series…Jackson is 23-32 away from home this season.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• LF Dario Pizzano (0x2, RBI, SF) and DH Dan Paolini (0x2, RBI, SF) each drove in runs on back-to-back sacrifice flies in the bottom of the 5th inning as Jackson came-from-behind to defeat Montgomery 2-1 on Monday.
• RF Jordy Lara (2×3, R, 2B) led the team with 2 hits, while 2B Ketel Marte (1×3) and 3B Patrick Kivlehan (1×3, R) each recorded 1 of the Generals 4 hits.
• Starter Tyler Pike (5.1,4,1,1,3,0) earned his 3rd win with Jackson, allowing 1 run on 4 hits over 5.1 innings. RH Moises Hernandez (1.2,1,0,0,1,0), RH Stephen Shackleford (0.2,0,0,1,1) and RH Mayckol Guaipe (1.1,0,0,0,1,1) combined to hold the Biscuits scoreless over the final 3.2 innings in relief. Guiape earned his 9th save, after allowing 1 walk and striking out 1 in 1.1 innings to close out the game.
AFTER A SLOW START, JORDY LARA STARTING TO HEAT UP:
• After recording 1 hit in his first 14 Jackson at-bats (.071), OF Jordy Lara his hit safely in each of his last 4 games, batting .571 (8×14) with 3 runs scored, 3 doubles, 3 RBI and 1 walk. Overall Lara is batting .321 (9×28) with 4 runs scored, 4 doubles, 3 RBI and 4 walks in 8 games with Jackson.
LANDRY IS BATTING .332 SINCE MAY 16TH:
• Since May 16, OF Leon Landry has hit safely in 55 of 65 games, batting .332 (86×259) with 42 runs scoed, 17 doubles, 6 triples, 1 home run, 20 RBI, 10 walks and 18 stolen bases. During this 65-game stretch he has raised his season average from .155 to .282.
KIVLEHAN/MARTE RANK IN THE TOP SIX IN BATTING:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks T-1st in the Southern League in batting (.318) and 3rd in slugging percentage (.521). Kivlehan also ranks 6th in the M’s organization in average (.306), 4th in HR (18) and 2nd in RBI (90).
• SS Ketel Marte currently ranks 6th in the league batting (.301), 1st in hits (128), 1st in at-bats (425) and T-5th in doubles (26).
Southern League Leaders in Batting Average:
Rank Player Team AVG
T-1st Patrick Kivlehan JXN .318
T-1st Jake Lamb MOB .318
3rd Rangel Ravelo BIR .316
4th Tom Belza MOB .315
5th Ryan Brett MTG .306
6th Ketel Marte JXN .301
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Hello Again Blue Wahoos – The Generals take on Pensacola for the first time since a home series, April 30-May 4 in Jackson where the Wahoos took 3 of 5.
• Jackson leads the overall series against Pensacola, 14-11 and are 8-7 in games played at Bayfront Stadium, including winning 4 of 5 during last series in Pensacola last July 4-8.
• Kiss It Goodbye x4 – The Generals smacked 4 home runs in game Sunday for the first time since Septemeber 2, 2012. In that game vs. Jacksonville Nate Tenbrink, Brad Miller, Denny Almonte and Joe Dunigan went deep.
• Extra Base Success – Last Thursday, Leon Landry collected his 6th triple of the season which was Jackson’s 40th as a team, which ranks 2nd in the league. Last season Jackson had 41 through the entire season…Jackson also ranks 3rd in the league in doubles with 205 on the season.
• Relieving Guaipe – RHP Mayckol Guaipe has a 2.30 ERA in 31 games this season, with 45 strik eouts… ranks 4th among SL relievers having just walked 8 batters in 47.0 IP…he also ranks 3rd in fewest baserunners/9IP ratio at 8.62 (45/47.0 IP).
• Landry is the toughest in the league to strikeout – OF Leon Landry is 1st in the Southern League in fewest strikeouts, fanning just once in every 9.46 at-bats.
• Summer of Hitting – The Generals are leading the Southern League in batting since June 1st, batting .279 (530/1,903) with 35 home runs, 109 doubles and 25 triples in 57 games.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 16 of his last 19 games, batting .368 (25×68) with 13 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 3 home runs, 15 RBI and 12 walks. He also has hit safely in 21 of his last 25 games (since 7/8), batting .375 (33×88) with 19 runs scored, 7 doubles, 4 triples, 4 home runs, 20 RBI and 14 walks.