Game #115: Jackson Generals 21-24 (52-62) at Pensacola Blue Wahoos 17-29 (48-68)
Time/Place: 6:30 pm CT | Pensacola Bayfront Stadium | Pensacola, Florida
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Tyler Olson (6-6, 4.21) vs. RHP Daniel Corcino (9-9, 4.29)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• Leading the series, 1-0, the Generals play game 2 of the 5-game road series at Pensacola…the Generals have won 4 of last 6 series’ and won 3 of 5 from Montgomery in last series…Jackson is 23-32 away from home this season.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals scored in four straight innings from the 3rd through 6th and DH Jordy Lara (1×5) smashed a grand slam homer in the 9th as Jackson defeated Pensacola. 9-3 on Wednesday night.
• 2B Patrick Brady (2×4) hit a sol homer in the 5th and D.J. Peterson (1×4) homered in the 4th while SS Ketel Marte (2×5) added a multi-hit game in the win.
• LF Dario Pizzano (1×4) broke a 3-3 tie in the 6th with a 2 out 2-run double.
• Starter Cam Hobson (5.0, 6,3,3,1,3) became Jackson’s first 7-game winner on the mound as LH Kyle Hunter (1.0,0,0,0,0,0) added a hold and RH Trevor Miller (3.0,1,0,0,0,4) notched his first career save tossing the final three frames.
GRAND SALAMI TIME HITS PENSACOLA ON WEDNESDAY:
• Jordy Lara’s grand slam in the 9th inning on Wednesday was Jackson’s 5th of the season (Blash 4/3, Rivers 4/11, Paolini 5/10, Pizzano 6/2). Jackson has 5 of the 26 grand slams in the Southern League this season.
• Lara’s grand slam was his first home run of the season. Dario Pizzano’s grand slam on 6/2 was also his first Double-A homer.
AFTER A SLOW START, JORDY LARA STARTING TO HEAT UP:
• After recording 1 hit in his first 14 Jackson at-bats (.071), OF Jordy Lara his hit safely in each of his last 5 games, batting .571 (9×19) with 4 runs scored, a home run, 3 doubles, 7 RBI and 1 walk. Overall Lara is batting .303 (10×33) with a home run, 5 runs scored, 4 doubles, 7 RBI and 4 walks in 9 games with Jackson.
KIVLEHAN & MARTE ARE AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks 3rd in the Southern League in batting (.317) and 3rd in slugging percentage (.518). Kivlehan also ranks 6th in the M’s organization in average (.306), 4th in HR (18) and 2nd in RBI (90).
• SS Ketel Marte currently ranks 6th in the league batting (.302), 1st in hits (130), 1st in at-bats (430) and T-5th in doubles (27).
Southern League Leaders in Batting Average:
Rank Player Team AVG
T-1st Jake Lamb MOB .318
T-1st Tom Belza MOB .318
3rd Patrick Kivlehan JXN .317
4th Rangel Ravelo BIR .313
5th Ryan Brett MTG .306
6th Ketel Marte JXN .302
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Hello Again Blue Wahoos – The Generals are taking on Pensacola for the first time since a home series, April 30-May 4 in Jackson where the Wahoos took 3 of 5.
• Jackson leads the overall series against Pensacola, 15-11 and are 9-7 in games played at Bayfront Stadium, including winning 4 of 5 during last series in Pensacola July 4-8, 2013.
• Kiss It Goodbye x4 – The Generals smacked 4 home runs in game Sunday for the first time since Septemeber 2, 2012. In that game vs. Jacksonville Nate Tenbrink, Brad Miller, Denny Almonte and Joe Dunigan went deep.
• Extra Base Success – Last Thursday, Leon Landry collected his 6th triple of the season which was Jackson’s 40th as a team, which ranks 2nd in the league. Last season Jackson had 41 through the entire season…Jackson also ranks 3rd in the league in doubles with 208 on the season.
• Relieving Guaipe – RHP Mayckol Guaipe has a 2.30 ERA in 31 games this season, with 45 strik eouts… ranks 4th among SL relievers having just walked 8 batters in 47.0 IP…he also ranks 3rd in fewest baserunners/9IP ratio at 8.62 (45/47.0 IP).
• Landry is the toughest in the league to strikeout – OF Leon Landry is 1st in the Southern League in fewest strikeouts, fanning just once in every 9.56 at-bats.
• Summer of Hitting – The Generals are leading the Southern League in batting since June 1st, batting .278 (539/1,939) with 38 home runs, 112 doubles and 25 triples in 58 games.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 17 of his last 20 games, batting .361 (26×72) with 14 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 3 home runs, 15 RBI and 13 walks. He also has hit safely in 22 of his last 26 games (since 7/8), batting .3750(34×92) with 20 runs scored, 7 doubles, 4 triples, 4 home runs, 20 RBI and 15 walks.