Game #116: Jackson Generals 21-25 (52-63) at Pensacola Blue Wahoos 18-29 (49-68)
Time/Place: 6:30 pm CT | Pensacola Bayfront Stadium | Pensacola, Florida
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Stephen Landazuri (6-3, 3.44) vs. RHP Jon Moscot (6-10, 3.30)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• With the current series tied 1-1, the Generals play game 3 of the 5-game road series at Pensacola…the Generals have won 4 of last 6 series’ and won 3 of 5 from Montgomery in last homestand…Jackson is 23-33 away from home this season.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals rallied for 2 runs in the top of the 9th inning, but it wasn’t enough to overcome 2 costly errors falling 3-2 at Pensacola.
• SS Ketel Marte had 2 of Jackson’s 7 hits on Thursday while DH Dan Paolini (1×3) had a home run and 1B Patrick Kivlehan (1×4), RF Jordy Lara (1×4), CF Kevin Rivers (1×4) and C Mike Dowd (1×4) had 1 hit each.
• Pensacola took advantage of Jackson errors and scored their first 2 runs in the 2nd and 5th innings.
• Starter Tyler Olson (5.2,3,2,0,0,7) suffered the tough luck loss giving up just 2 unearned runs, while striking out 7, which was the 5th time he has struck out 7 or more in a start this season. RH Stephen Shackleford (1.1,1,0,0,0,3) added his 4th straight scoreless outing and RH Matt Brazis (1.0,2,1,1,1,1) allowed a run in the 8th inning.
VICTOR SANCHEZ LOOKS TO STAY HOT TONIGHT:
• Since July 1, tonight’s starter Victor Sanchez is 3-0 with a 2.34 ERA (11 ER, 42.1 IP) in last 7 starts. Duing this stretch he has limited opponents to a .214 (33×1154) average, while walking 10 and striking out 34.
GRAND SALAMI TIME HITS PENSACOLA:
• Jordy Lara’s grand slam in the 9th inning on Wednesday was Jackson’s 5th of the season (Blash 4/3, Rivers 4/11, Paolini 5/10, Pizzano 6/2). Jackson has 5 of the 26 grand slams in the Southern League this season.
• Lara’s grand slam was his first home run of the season. Dario Pizzano’s grand slam on 6/2 was also his first Double-A homer.
AFTER A SLOW START, JORDY LARA STARTING TO HEAT UP:
• After recording 1 hit in his first 14 Jackson at-bats (.071), OF Jordy Lara his hit safely in each of his last 6 games, batting .435 (10×23) with 4 runs scored, a home run, 4 doubles, 7 RBI and 1 walk. Overall Lara is batting .297 (11×37) with a home run, 5 runs scored, 5 doubles, 7 RBI and 4 walks in 9 games with Jackson.
KIVLEHAN & MARTE ARE AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks 3rd in the Southern League in batting (.316) and 3rd in slugging percentage (.514). Kivlehan also ranks 6th in the M’s organization in average (.304), 4th in HR (18) and 2nd in RBI (90).
• SS Ketel Marte currently ranks 6th in the league batting (.304), 1st in hits (132), 1st in at-bats (434) and T-5th in doubles (27).
Southern League Leaders in Batting Average:
Rank Player Team AVG
T-1st Tom Belza MOB .318
T-1st Jake Lamb MOB .318
3rd Patrick Kivlehan JXN .316
4th Rangel Ravelo BIR .314
5th Ryan Brett MTG .306
6th Ketel Marte JXN .304
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Hello Again Blue Wahoos – The Generals are taking on Pensacola for the first time since a home series, April 30-May 4 in Jackson where the Wahoos took 3 of 5.
• Jackson leads the overall series against Pensacola, 15-12 and are 9-8 in games played at Bayfront Stadium, including winning 4 of 5 during last series in Pensacola July 4-8, 2013.
• Homering Generals – The Generals have hit 8 home runs in 6 August games, which leads the Southern League. Sunday, Jackson homered 4 times, which was the most since Septemeber 2, 2012 at Jackson.
• Home Sweet Sunshine State – Jackson has 3 players on its roster that hails from the state of Floriday – RHP Matt Brazis (Tampa), LHP Tyler Pike (Winter Haven) and C Steve Baron (Miami). It’s the 2nd-most state represented on the roster to California.
• Relieving Guaipe – RHP Mayckol Guaipe has a 2.30 ERA in 31 games this season, with 45 strik eouts… ranks 4th among SL relievers having just walked 8 batters in 47.0 IP…he also ranks 3rd in fewest baserunners/9IP ratio at 8.62 (45/47.0 IP).
• Landry is the toughest in the league to strikeout – OF Leon Landry is 1st in the Southern League in fewest strikeouts, fanning just once in every 9.56 at-bats.
• Summer of Hitting – The Generals are leading the Southern League in batting since June 1st, batting .277 (546/1,972) with 39 home runs, 113 doubles and 25 triples in 59 games.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan has reached base safely in a Southern League best 32 straight games batting .330 (38×115) with 7 doubles, 4 triples, 5 home runs, 22 RBI and 16 walks, with a .419 on-base percentage. He also has hit safely in 18 of his last 21 games, batting .355 (27×76) with 14 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 3 home runs, 15 RBI and 13 walks. Kivlehan also has reached base safely in 36 straight road games batting .338 (46×136) with 9 doubles, 3 triples, 5 home runs, 31 RBI, 15 walks and a .408 on-base percentage.