Game #122: Jackson Generals 25-27 (56-65) vs. Birmingham Barons 23-29 (52-70)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | Ballpark at Jackson | Jackson, Tennessee
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Stephen Landazuri (6-4, 3.45) vs. RHP Bryan Blough (2-4, 3.83)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue a 6-game series in 5 days with their North Division rival Birmingham Barons today with game 4 of the series (3-0)…Jackson is 9-3 this season against the Barons and 6-1 in games played in Jackson…the Generals have won 7 of their last 10 games and 4 of their last 7 series’ overall.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals picked up their 2nd double header sweep of the season Wednesday with a walk-off 2-1 victory in game 1 and an 8-1 win in the nightcap over Birmingham.
• With the wins, Jackson pulled within a game of the North Division leaders Tennessee and Chattanooga.
• 3B D.J. Peterson had walk-off RBI single with 1 out in the bottom of the 7th inning as Jackson defeated Birmingham 2-1. LF Patrick Kivlehan (2×3) and C Steve Baron (2×2, R, BB) had 2 of the Generals 8 hits. DH Dan Paolini hit his 12th home run of the season with a solo home run that tied the game 1-1 in the 3rd innings.
• Starter Tyler Olson (7.0,7,1,1,1,4) allowed 1 run on 7 hits in a 7.0-inning complete game to earn his 7th win of the season. It was his 2nd career complete game and first since July 10, 2013 at Eugene with Everett (9.0,1,0,0,1,10).
• In game 2, 3B D.J. Peterson hit his 26th home run of the season and drove in 3 runs as Jackson picked up an 8-1 victory over Birmingham.
• The Generals scored 8 runs on only 3 hits, but took advantage of 9 walks and 3 errors.
• Peterson (1×4, R, HR, 3 RBI), 2B Tyler Smith (1×2, R, RBI) and 1B Patrick Kivlehan (1×4, R, 3B) each recorded 1 of the team’s 3 hits.
• Starter Kyle Hunter (3.1,2,0,0,1,1) allowed only 2 hits in 3.1 scoreless innings, but did not factor into the decision. RH Stephen Shackleford (1.2,1,0,0,1,3) recorded his 6th win after tossing 1.2 scoreless innings. RH Matt Brazis (2.0,2,1,1,1,3) allowed 1 run in the top of the 7th inning before closing it out.
LARA LEADING THE MINORS IN HITS:
• Jordy Lara currently has 159 hits this season between High Desert and Jackson, which leads all of the minors…Mississippi’s Jose Peraza…Lara also ranks T-5th in the minors in extra-base hits (61) and 11th in OPS (.996).
GENERALS CLOSE SEASON WITH 21 GAMES IN 21 DAYS:
• The Generals are in the midst of playing 21 games in 21 days to close the season (3-0) including 8 more home games (BIR, CHA) and road trips to Huntsville and Montgomery. 15 of the final 20 games are against North Division foes. Jackson is 32-25 against their remaining opponents.
DID YOU KNOW?
• YOU ALREADY KNEW that Jackson walked off with a 2-1 victory in game one yesterday, but DID YOU KNOW? that it was only Jackson’s 2nd walk off this season (last 4/13 vs. MIS).
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Barons visit Jackson again – The Generals are hosting Birmingham for the second time this season and are 6-1 in games at Jackson and 9-3 overall…As a team the Generals are batting .310 against Birmingham this season with 64 runs scored in 12 games.
• Since 2005, the Generals/Diamond Jaxx are 46-23 (.667) against the Barons in games played in Jackson.
• Miller finding his place as a reliever – RHP Trevor Miller earned his 2nd save in his last 3 outings Tuesday night. Miller is now 2-1, with a 1.64 ERA, with 39 strikeouts and 11 walks in 14 games as a reliever. As a starter, Miller is 3-7, with a 5.45 ERA, with 46 strikeouts and 30 walks in 13 starts.
• Relieving Guaipe – RHP Mayckol Guaipe has a 2.25 ERA in 32 games this season, with 47 strikeouts and only 8 walks… He ranks 3rd among SL relievers having just walked 8 batters in 48.0 IP…he also ranks 1st in fewest baserunners/9IP ratio at 8.44 (45/48.0 IP).
• Landry is the toughest in the league to strikeout – OF Leon Landry is 1st in the Southern League in fewest strikeouts, fanning just once in every 9.56 at-bats.
• C Steve Baron has hit safely in 5 straight games, including 3 multi-hit efforts, batting .444 (8×18) with 2 runs, 3 doubles, 2 RBI and a stolen base. He has upped his average from .175 to .259.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 5 straight games, including 3 multi-hit efforts, batting .500 (9×18) with5 runs, 2 doubles, a triple, home run and 5 RBI…He has also hit in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .410 (16×39) with 9 runs scored, 2 doubles, a triple, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and 7 walks.
• OF Jordy Lara had his 10-game hitting streak end on Wednesday, but has hit in 10 of 12 games,, batting .378 (17×45) with 4 runs scored, 6 doubles, 1 home run, 13 RBI and 2 walks. Overall Lara is batting .305 (18×59) with 5 runs scored, 7 doubles, 1 home run, 13 RBI and 5 walks in 16 games with Jackson, including 6 multi-hit games.