Game #136: Jackson Generals 29-37 (60-75) at Montgomery Biscuits 30-36 (65-71)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | Riverwalk Stadium | Montgomery, Alabama
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Cam Hobson (8-10, 4.35) vs. RHP Dylan Floro (10-13, 3.62)
Radio: Online Only | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue their final road trip and series of the season tonight with game 2 of a 5-game series at Montgomery…Jackson dropped 3 of 5 from Chattanooga in previous series.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• Reliever Moises Hernandez was called for back-to-back balks in the bottom of the 10th allowing Montgomery to score the first run of the game and defeat Jackson 1-0 on Thursday night.
• Starter Tyler Pike (6.0,2,0,0,3,5) did not allow a hit through 5.1 and has now held an opponent hitless through 5+ inning 4 times in his career, including a combined no hitter on May 28 while with High Desert. LH Kyle Hunter (1.1,0,0,0,0,1) and RH Stephen Shackleford (1.2,0,0,0,0,1) held Montgomery scoreless for 3 innings after Pike.
• The Generals tallied just 3 hits, all from different players. 3B D.J. Peterson (1×4) earned the first hit of the game in the 1st as CF Pat Kivlehan (1×3, BB) and LF Dario Pizzano (1×4) followed with base hits of their own later on in the game.
• SS Ketel Marte, who is currently with AAA Tacoma and UTIL Patrick Kivlehan were named 2014 Southern League Postseason All-Stars on Friday.
THE 100 RBI CLUB:
• Of the 7 minor league players this season to record at least 100 RBI this, the Mariners currently have 3 players on the list. Seattle is the only franchise with at least 2 players with at least 100 RBI this season and have 4 players that rank in the top 11. INF D.J. Peterson currently ranks 3rd in the minor league with 104 RBI, while INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan and INF Jordy Lara are each T4th this season. Hi-A High Desert OF Jabari Henry is currently T11th in 2014 with 95 RBI.
SIX 2014 GENERALS HEADED TO THE AFL:
• The Mariners, affiliated in 2014 with the Surprise Saguaros are sending current General pitchers RH Matt Brazis and RH Stephen Landazuri along with position players D.J. Peterson and Patrick Kivlehan to the AFL.
• Current High Desert pitcher Matt Anderson and Tacoma catcher John Hicks will play for Surprise. Jackson trainer
• B.J. Downie will serve as athletic trainer for the Saguaros, who will partner with the the Red Sox, Reds, Padres and Rangers in 2014.
BIG SEASON FOR PETERSON IN 2014:
• The Mariners 1st round pick, 12th overall in 2013 ranks 3rd among all minor league players wth 104 RBI combined between High Deset and Jackson. He also is T10th in the minor leagues with 28 home runs.
LARA LOOKING TO LEAD MINORS IN HITS:
• INF Jordy Lara ranks among all minor league players in hits (2nd/173), RBI (T5th/102), extra-base hits (5th/68) over 131 games combined between High Desert and Jackson.
DID YOU KNOW?
• YOU (MAY) ALREADY KNOW that Jackson pitcher Moises Hernandez was charged with 2 balks in the 10th inning last night, but DID YOU KNOW? that coming into Thursday, Jackson pitchers had only balked 4 times in the previous 134 games.
• the Mariners are 16-7 over their last 22 games (8/2-current), going from 3 games over .500 (56-53) to 12 games over (72-60)…during this stretch the club is batting .261 (197×754) with 58 extra-base hits (2B-32, 3B-6, HR-20) and averaging 4.91 runs per game (outscored opponent 113-64).
• ACK ATTACK…Dustin Ackley has driven in 18 runs in his last 20 games (Aug. 6 – current) on the strength of 4 doubles, 1 triple, 3 home runs and a .468 slugger percentage…since July 1, Ack is hitting .313 (56×179) with 25 runs, 14 doubles, 1 triple, 5 home runs, 28 RBI and a .486 slugging percentage.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Bring on the Biscuits…again: The Generals make their second and final trip to Montgomery in 2014 and are 7-9 this season and 2-4 at Riverwalk Stadium. The Biscuits have earned walk-off wins in the last 3 games in Montgomery.
• Jackson is batting .262 against Montgomery this season and have out-scored the Biscuits 79-77 in the first 16 games.
• Leading the SL in Homers Since July 1st – After hitting just 40 home runs over their first 81 games, Jackson has hit 47 home runs over their last 54 games since July 1st which leads the SouthernLeague in that period of time. The Generals have hit league-leading 26 home runs in August and 11 in their last 11 games.
• Tyler Olson remains hot on the mound – Over his last 5 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson is 4-1 with a 1.45 ERA (5 ER, 31.0 IP). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .220 (26×118) average, while walking 5 and striking out 27. After going 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA (36 ER, 71.0 IP) over his first 13 AA starts, Olson is 6-2 with a 2.48 ERA (13 ER, 47.1 IP) over his last 8 starts.
• LH Kyle Hunter has allowed only 1 run over his last 25.1 innings (0.36 ERA). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .180 (16×89) average, while walking 6 and striking 13…After posting a 4.10 ERA in 16 1st half games, Hunter has a 2.60 ERA in 21 2nd half games.