Game Central (Thursday, May 16)
Game #38: Jackson Generals (SEA) (16-21) vs. Tennessee Smokies (CHC) (19-19)
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (1-0, 9.45) vs. RHP Matt Loosen (0-1, 8.49)
Promotions: Dollar Night (MobileNation) Jupiter Stone Postgame Concert
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 6:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals (16-21) continue their 10-game homestand in 9 days vs. Tennessee (19-19) (CHC) and Birmingham (CHW) with game #4 of the series vs. the Smokies (1-3)…Jackson is coming off series win in Huntsville, taking 3 of 5 from the Stars. 22-year-old Anthony Fernandez gets the start in the finale of the 5-game series against the Smokies. This is his 4th start of the season and 80th start of his career. Fernandez made 1 start against Tennessee last year on 7/16, allowing 4 runs on 9 hits in 4.0 innings, earning a no decision.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 6 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning, including a 2-run triple by RF Julio Morban, as Jackson came-from-behind to defeat Tennessee 8-4 on Wednesday afternoon. Morban extended his hitting streak to 12-game, going 4-for-4 with 1 run scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple and 4 RBI. 3B Vinnie Catricala (3×4, 2 R, 2B) recorded 3 of the Jackson’s 12 hits, while DH Brad Miller (1×3, 2 R, 2 RBI, BB) knocked in 2 of the team’s 8 runs. Starter Brett Shankin (6.0,5,4,3,2,5,HR) allowed 4 runs (3 ER) on 5 hits in 6.0 innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. Relievers Kyle Hunter (1.2,2,0,0,0,0) and Tyler Burgoon (1.1,1,0,0,0,2) combined to hold Smokies scoreless over the final 3.0 innings. Burgoon rebounded after recording the loss yesterday to earn his first win of the season with 1.1 scoreles.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that the Generals are 16-21 and 9 games out of first place in the division. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that the Generals have outscored oppononents this season by 22 runs (165-143) and have a Pythagorean W-L of 21-16 according to Baseball Reference.
NEWS & NOTES: Jackson ranks 3rd in the SL in batting (.251), 3rd in hits (317), 2nd in triples (13) and 4th in stolen bases (46). Jackson leads the league in hits allowed (284), 2nd in ERA (3.23), 3rd in walks allowed (119) and 4th in strikeouts (290),
• 18 of first 37 games have been 1-run games (5-13) which is 2nd in all of minors…22 of 37 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (6-16) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 10-5.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 4 runs in 5.1 innings in his last start, after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R). Overall this season, he is 3-3 with a 2.23 ERA (10 ER, 41.1 IP) in 7 starts. He has limited opponents to a .176 (25×142) average, while walking 22 and striking out 46.
• OF Julio Morban currently has a 12-game hit streak, batting .426 (20×47) with 8 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs and 11 RBI…Longest current hitting streak in the SL and longest by a JXN player this year. T-4th-longest this season in the SL.
• SS Brad Miller has hit safely in 7 straight games, batting .414 (12×29) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run and 10 RBI.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks lead the SL catching 52.9% of base stealers (18 CS, 34 Att).
WINDY CITY HOMESTAND: The Generals begin their longest homestand of the season this week, welcoming the Tennessee Smokies (CHC) and Birmingham Barons (CHW) at The Ballpark for 10 games in 9 days. The homestand includes a scheduled doubleheader on May 18 vs. Birmingham.
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark in Jackson will host the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament will be held May 22-26 and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.