SERIES PREVIEW: Jackson at Montgomery
Jackson at Montgomery 5/23-5/27 @ Riverwalk Stadium – Montgomery, AL
May 23 7:05 LHP Anthony Fernandez (1-0, 8.84) vs. RHP Matt Buschmann (5-2, 2.96)
May 24 7:05 LHP Roenis Elias (2-3, 2.90) vs. RHP Jake Thompson (2-5, 7.09)
May 25 6:35 RHP Chance Ruffin (1-2, 2.87) vs. RHP Merrill Kelly (3-4, 3.81)
May 26 6:05 RHP Taijuan Walker (3-4, 2.77) vs. LHP Enny Romero (2-1, 4.58)
May 27 2:05 RHP Brett Shankin (3-1, 3.89) vs. RHP Victor Mateo (2-5, 6.90)
Scouting the Biscuits:
- 9-11 record @home
- Lost 4 of 5 last series @ Huntsville
- RF Mikie Mahtook: 2nd in SL in RBIs w/ 34 (.227 average)
- Thursday’s starter Matt Buschmann has some impressive numbers. 3rd in SL in Ks (51) and from 4/26 to 5/13 went a combined 27 innings, only 16 hits, 4 runs and 29 Ks. Definitely considered a strikeout pitcher.
- Kevin Kiermaier doesn’t have the best average but the kid is a spark plug. Hits .292 when he leads off, 5th in SL in hits (47), 2nd in SL in runs scored (32) and triples (5). Only 1 error in 98 chances (.990)
- The team is second to last in hitting (.233) and last in pitching (4.71). They don’t strike out a ton compared to other teams, 283 times, least in the SL. On the opposite end of spectrum, they give up a lot of long balls. 41 HRs, the most in SL.
- Juan Sandoval, their closer, is 9 of 10 in save opportunities. Lefties hit really well against him in limited innings. (5IP, 7.20 ERA).
- Sandoval: Batters hitting .368 with runners in scoring position against him
- Enny Romero, Biscuit’s Sunday starter, has pitched 12.2 scoreless innings over the last two starts, allowing only 6 hits, but 7 walks. He does have a 6.06 ERA at home though, not very impressive.
- Famous alumni: Carl Crawford, Jorge Cantu, Johnny Gomes
- 4/22: C.J. Riefenhauser was named SL pitcher of the week.
- Catcher Keith Castillo was just called up from SS-A Hudson Valley on 5/18
– Scouting report by Grant Braden –