Game Central (Tuesday, June 4)
Game #54: Jackson Generals (SEA) (23-30) at Tennessee Smokies (CHC) (30-26)
Site: Smokies Park – Kodak, TN
Time: 6:15 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: RHP Chance Ruffin (2-2, 2.72) vs. RHP Yeiper Castillo (0-1, 4.66)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:00) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals try to stop a 4-game losing skid tonight in game #3 of the 5-game road series at Tennessee…the Generals had 2 games cancelled in the last series at home vs. Huntsville (1-2)…the Generals are 1-6 against the Smokies this season after going 17-7 against the Smokies in 2012. 24-year-old Chance Ruffin makes his 10th career start and 10th of the season tonight. Ruffin finished up the month of May posting a 2.25 ERA striking out 23 and walking just 2.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored only 1 run and were swept in their doubleheader against the Tennessee Smokies on Monday. In game 1, the Generals were limited to 7 hits as Jackson was shutout 2-0 by Tennessee. The Generals 1-2-3 hitters in the lineup recorded 6 of the team’s 7 hits while recording both extra-base hits. RF Julio Morban (3×3, 2B) recorded his 3rd consecutive multi-hit game with his team-high 3 hits. SS Gabriel Noriega (2×4, 2B) recorded the team’s only other multi-hit game, while LF James Jones (1×4) and DH Michael Dowd (1×3) each recorded 1 hit. Starter Taijuan Walker (5.0,6,2,2,2,5) recorded his 6th loss of the season, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits in 5.0 innings. LH Kyle Huner (1.0,1,0,0,0,0) allowed 1 hit in a scoreless 6th inning. In game 2, 2B Patrick Brady drove in the Generals lone run in Jackson’s 7-1 loss to Tennessee. Brady (1×2, RBI, BB), SS Gabriel Noriega (1×4), C Michael Dowd (1×3, R) and 1B Steven Proscia (1×2, BB) each recorded 1 of Jackson’s 4 hits. Starter James Gillheeney (4.0,5,4,4,1,1,HR) recorded his first loss with Jackson, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits in 4.0 innings. RH Andrew Kittredge (1.0,3,1,1,1,1) and RH Moises Hernandez (1.0,2,2,2,1,1) combined to allow 3 runs over the last 2.0 innings.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that 2012 General and current M’s reliever Yoervis Medina pitched 1.2 scoreless innings of relief last night in the M’s 4-2 win over the White Sox but, DID YOU KNOW?…that Medina has been one of Seattle’s top relievers this year posting a 3.18 ERA in 17 games. Medina has now stranded 12 of 15 inherited runners in his 17 appearances.
NEWS & NOTES: 24 of first 53 games have been 1-run games (7-17) which is the most in all of minors…31 of 53 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (9-22) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 13-8.
• The Seattle Generals…there are currently 4 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, five 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 5 his last 6 games, batting .417 (10×24) with 1 run scored, 2 doubles and 1 RBI.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 20.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .192 (14×73) average, while walking 10 and striking out 15.
• LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run in his last 8.2 innings in relief (4 G). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .133 (4×30) average, while walking 3 and striking out 10.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed a run in his last 13.0 innings in relief (8 G). He has allowed only 1 run in his last 20.0 innings in relief. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .137 (10×73) average, while walking 3 and striking out 25. Since April 21, Kohlscheen has lowered his season ERA from 6.35 to 1.75 in 11 games in relief.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 13 earned runs over his last 5 starts (28.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10-May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-6 with a 2.67 ERA (19 ER, 57.0 IP) in 10 starts. He has limited opponents to a .202 (46×228) average, while walking 29 and striking out 68.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 56.3% of base stealers (27 CS, 48 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 35.4% of base runners.