Game Central (Thursday, June 13) at Birmingham
Game #62: Jackson Generals (SEA) (27-34) at Birmingham Barons (CHW) (41-24)
Site: Regions Field – Birmingham, AL
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (2-6, 3.09) vs. LHP Scott Snodgrass (7-4, 4.54)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals open a 5-game road series against the SL North 1st half Champion Birmingham Barons…the Barons’ 41 wins is the most in the league…Jackson leads the season series 3-2 and will meet Birmingham 15 times in 2013…24-year-old Roenis Elias makes his 12th start for the Generals in the opener of the series at Birmingham. This is his 46th overall start in his pro career.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals allowed 3 runs in the top of the 1st inning and 3 more in the 5th inning as Jackson lost to Chattanooga 3-1 on Tuesday night. LF Leon Landry (2×4), RF Julio Morban (2×4, R, 2B, HR, RBI) and 1B Steven Proscia (2×3) each recorded 2 of the Generals 6 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (4.2,5,6,5,1,1HR) recorded the loss, allowing 6 runs (5 ER) in 4.2 innings. Relievers Stephen Kohlscheen (1.1,1,0,0,0,0), Stephen Shackleford (1.0,1,0,0,0,1), Andrew Kittredge (1.0,1,0,0,1,1) and Moises Hernandez (1.0,0,0,0,1,0) combined to hold the Lookouts scoreless over the final 4.1 innings in relief.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that catcher Mike Zunino (1×4) made his MLB debut last night for the Mariners but, DID YOU KNOW?…that with Zunino’s MLB debut, now 8 members of last year’s 79-61 Generals’ club have made their big league debut. (Franklin, Sucre, Maurer, Capps, Pryor, Bobby LaFromboise and Medina are the others).
NEWS & NOTES: 27 of first 61 games have been 1-run games (10-17) which is the most in all of minors…38 of 61 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-25) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 14-9.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: None
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…their are currently 6 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• FRESH PRINCE OF BEL…JACKSON: RH Taijuan Walker is 0-2 in his last 3 starts, despite allowing only 4 runs in 19.0 innings (1.89 ERA). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .184 average (12×65), while walking 4 and striking out 20.
• FINALLY ON TOP: Generals OF Julio Morban leads the league with a .316 batting average. He missed 2 weeks in April due to a groin injury and just reached the plate appearances to qualify for league leaders.
• BROOKLYN’S FINEST: OF James Jones has hit safely in 7 of his last 8 games, batting .345 (10×29) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 home run and 6 RBI.
• SOLDIER ON THE HILL: After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 27.0 innings (1.00 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .194 (19×98) average, while walking 13 and striking out 20.
• FIRST LOOK AT REGIONS FIELD: In April, the Barons played their 1st game in their new ballpark, Regions Field. The state-of-the-art 8,500 seat $64 million facility in the heart of downtown replaced Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, the home of the Barons since 1988. The crown jewel of Birmingham’s newly developed Parkside District, features a variety of unique seating areas, creating an intimate atmosphere and offering unique views of the downtown skyline, UAB, Children’s Hospital, Vulcan and Red Mountain.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 56.9% of base stealers (29 CS, 51 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 34.3% of base runners.