Game Central (Friday, June 14) at Birmingham
Game #63: Jackson Generals (SEA) (28-34) at Birmingham Barons (CHW) (41-25)
Site: Regions Field – Birmingham, AL
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Taijuan Walker (3-6, 2.52) vs. RHP Nick McCully (6-1, 2.93)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 5-game road series against the SL North 1st half Champion Birmingham Barons with game #2 of the series (1-0)…the Barons’ 41 wins is the most in the league…Jackson leads the season series 4-2 and will meet Birmingham 15 times in 2013… 20-year-old righty Taijuan Walker makes his team-leading 13th start of the season in game 2 of the series. This is his 56th career start and 38th for Jackson…Walker leads the league in strikeouts, ranks 2nd in opp. batting average and 9th in ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 6 runs over the 3rd and 4th innings, including a 4-run 3rd inning as Jackson came-from-behind to defeat Birmingham 7-2 on Thursday. 2B Jack Marder (2×4, 2 R, 2B, RBI) led the team with 2 hits, while SS Gabriel Noriega (1×3, 2 RBI) and RF James Jones (1×4, 2B, 2 RBI) each knocked in 2 of the Generals 7 runs. Starter Roenis Elias (7.0,7,1,1,0,5) recoreded his 3rd win, allowing 1 run on 7 hits in 7.0 innings. RH Tyler Burgoon (1.0,0,0,0,1,1) tossed a scoreless 8th inning, while RH Carson Smith (1.0,1,1,1,1,0) allowed a run in the bottom of the 9th inning before closing out the game.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that today’s starter Taijuan Walker has a team-best 2.52 ERA and leads the league with 77 strikeouts, but DID YOU KNOW?…that the Generals are just 3-9 in his starts and have scored 9 total runs in his last 6 starts (1.5 runs per start).
NEWS & NOTES: 27 of first 62 games have been 1-run games (10-17) which is the most in all of minors…38 of 62 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-25) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 15-9.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: None
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…their are currently 6 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• FRESH PRINCE OF BEL…JACKSON: RH Taijuan Walker is 0-2 in his last 3 starts, despite allowing only 4 runs in 19.0 innings (1.89 ERA). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .184 average (12×65), while walking 4 and striking out 20.
• FINALLY ON TOP: Generals OF Julio Morban leads the league with a .316 batting average. He missed 2 weeks in April due to a groin injury and just reached the plate appearances to qualify for league leaders.
• BROOKLYN’S FINEST: OF James Jones has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games, batting .333 (11×33) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run and 8 RBI.
• SOLDIER ON THE HILL: After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 27.0 innings (1.00 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .194 (19×98) average, while walking 13 and striking out 20.
• FIRST LOOK AT REGIONS FIELD: In April, the Barons played their 1st game in their new ballpark, Regions Field. The state-of-the-art 8,500 seat $64 million facility in the heart of downtown replaced Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, the home of the Barons since 1988. The crown jewel of Birmingham’s newly developed Parkside District, features a variety of unique seating areas, creating an intimate atmosphere and offering unique views of the downtown skyline, UAB, Children’s Hospital, Vulcan and Red Mountain.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 56.9% of base stealers (29 CS, 51 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 34.3% of base runners.