Game Central (Monday, June 16) at Birmingham
Game #65: Jackson Generals (SEA) (29-36) at Birmingham Barons (CHW) (43-26)
Site: Regions Field – Birmingham, AL
Time: 11:30 a.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (3-2, 6.28) vs. RHP Erik Johnson (7-2, 2.37)
Radio: Pregame Show (11:15) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: this morning the Generals play the rubber match of the 5-game road series against the SL North 1st half Champion Birmingham Barons (2-2)…the Barons’ 43 wins is the most in the league…Jackson leads the season series 5-4 and will meet Birmingham 15 times in 2013… 22-year-old Anthony Fernandez makes his 9th start…made only start in career vs. Birmingham on 8/2/12 at Hoover and took a no decision in 6.0 innings of work, striking out 2 and walking 1, allowing just 1 run on 2 hits.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals surrendered five runs in the bottom of the ninth Sunday and fell to the Birmingham Barons at Regions Field, 9-8. Tyler Saladino singled home pinch runner Jared Mitchell for the walk-off Barons victory. Birmingham went into the ninth trailing 8-4 and with the one-run loss Jackson fell to 10-18 in those contests this season. The Generals also dropped to 23-4 when leading after eight innings. Patrick Brady (2-3, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R) and Denny Almonte (1-4, HR, 2 RBI) homered in the game while Gabriel Noriega (3-4, RBI, R) collected his 2nd 3-hit game of the season. Carson Smith (BS, 4, L, 0-3, 0.0,3,2,2,0,0,0) suffered the loss while starter Chance Ruffin (4.2,6,4,4,3,3,1) did not factor into the decision.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that the Generals blew a 4-run lead in the 9th inning yesterday, but DID YOU KNOW?…that with a win yesterday the Generals would have clinched a series win for the first time in game #4 of the series. Nine of Jackson’s 14 series’ this season have gone to the rubber match (4-4).
NEWS & NOTES: 28 of first 65 games have been 1-run games (10-18) which is the most in all of minors…39 of 65 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-26) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 16-10.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: None
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…their are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• RUNNIN WILD: The Generals and Barons are the top 2 teams in league in stolen bases. Birmingham has 90 steals while the Generals are charging in 2nd place with 82 swiped bags.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• FRESH PRINCE OF BEL…JACKSON: RH Taijuan Walker is 0-3 in his last 4 starts, despite allowing only 6 runs in 25.1 innings (2.13 ERA). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .153 average (13×85), while walking 5 and striking out 27.
• SOLDIER ON THE HILL: LH Nick Hill has allowed only 4 runs in his last 28.0 innings (1.29 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .212 (22×104) average, while walking 13 and striking out 21.
• FIRST LOOK AT REGIONS FIELD: In April, the Barons played their 1st game in their new ballpark, Regions Field. The state-of-the-art 8,500 seat $64 million facility in the heart of downtown replaced Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, the home of the Barons since 1988. The crown jewel of Birmingham’s newly developed Parkside District, features a variety of unique seating areas, creating an intimate atmosphere and offering unique views of the downtown skyline, UAB, Children’s Hospital, Vulcan and Red Mountain.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 53.4% of base stealers (31 CS, 55 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 34.7% of base runners.