Game Central (Thursday, June 20) vs. Mobile
Game #68: Jackson Generals (SEA) 0-1, (29-38) vs. Mobile BayBears (ARI) 1-0, (40-30)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Taijuan Walker (3-7, 2.56) vs. RHP Bo Schultz (1-0, 0.00)
Promotions: Dollar Night (MobileNation), Postgame Karaoke w/ DJ Marty
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals play game #2 of a 5-game series with the first half South Division Champion Mobile BayBears…this is the 2nd of 15 meetings during the 2nd half between the clubs…last season the Generals finished the regular season 6-4 against Mobile… 20-year-old righty Taijuan Walker makes his team-leading 14th start of the season in game 2 of the series. This is his 57th career start and 39th for Jackson…was 0-1 with a 5.06 ERA in 2 starts last season vs. Mobile…took no decision at Mobile in Gm 3 of the SLCS tossing 7.1 innings, allowing 1 run on 4 hits while striking out 4 and walking 4. Jackson lost the game eventually 4-2. Walker has received just 2 runs of support in his last 4 starts.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 6 runs in the bottom of the 5th inning, but allowed 4 runs over the final 2 innings as Jackson lost to Mobile 8-6 on Wednesday night. Starter Roenis Elias (5.0,6,4,3,4,4,HR) allowed 4 runs (3 ER) on 6 hits in 5.0 innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. RH Stephen Shackleford (2.0,0,0,0,0,2) struck out 2 in 2.0 scoreless innings. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (0.1,3,3,3,3,1) recorded his 3rd loss of the season, allowing 3 runs on 3 hits and 3 walks in 0.1 innings. LH Nick Hill (0.2,0,0,0,1,0,WP) allowed 1 of 2 inherited runners to scored in the 8th inning, while RH Andrew Kittredge (1.0,2,1,1,1,3) allowed 1 run and struck out 3 in the 9th inning. All 9 position players in the starting lineup recorded at least 1 hit. 1B Ji-Man Choi (2×4, R, HR, RBI) led the General with 2 hits, while 3B Ramon Morla (1×3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB) led the team with 3 RBI. Morla, who made his Double-A debut, hit a 3-run home run with 2 outs in the 5th inning. Choi followed Morla with a solo home run, his 10th of the season and 3rd since being promoted to Jackson.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that the Generals lost the opener of the 2nd half last night to Mobile, but DID YOU KNOW?…that the Tennessee Smokies were the only team in the North Division that won last night making a 4-way tie for 2nd place in the division.
NEWS & NOTES: 29 of first 67 games have been 1-run games (10-19) which is the most in all of minors…41 of 67 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-28) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 16-10.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: None
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma SS Brad Miller, who had a day off yesterday, currently has a 16-game hitting streak, batting .377 (26×69) with 18 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 home runs and 22 RBI. Overall Miller has hit safely in 18 of 20 games with Tacoma, batting .341 (28×82) with 21 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 home runs and 23 RBI.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• FACING THE CHAMPS: The Generals are currently in a stretch of playing 10 straight games against the North and South Division 1st half Champions. Birmingham took 3 of 5 from the Generals to close out the 1st half and Jackson now faces Mobile during the opening series of the 2nd half. Mobile has won back-to-back SL Championships including the best-of-5 Championship series last year over the Generals in 4 games.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of Chris Taylor to start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• FRESH PRINCE OF BEL…JACKSON: RH Taijuan Walker is 0-3 in his last 4 starts, despite allowing only 6 runs in 25.1 innings (2.13 ERA). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .153 average (13×85), while walking 5 and striking out 27.
• SOLDIER ON THE HILL: After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 4 runs in his last 29.0 innings (1.24 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .208 (22×106) average, while walking 14 and striking out 21.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 50.8% of base stealers (32 CS, 61 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 33.8% of base runners.