Game Central (Friday, June 21) vs. Mobile
Game #69: Jackson Generals (SEA) 1-1, (30-38) vs. Mobile BayBears (ARI) 1-1, (40-31)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (3-1, 2.70) vs. LHP Andrew Chafin (3-4, 2.84)
Promotions: Two Car Giveaway (Mann’s)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals play game #3 of a 5-game series with the first half South Division Champion Mobile BayBears (1-1)…this is the 3rd of 15 meetings during the 2nd half between the clubs…last season the Generals finished the regular season 6-4 against Mobile… 25-year-old lefty James Gillheeney starts game 3 of the series…this is his 13th start of the season and 8th for Jackson…this is his 3rd career start art against Mobile and he has no record with a 3.00 ERA in those starts
GENERALS RECAP: Behind a career high 12 strikeouts from Taijuan Walker, the Generals defeated the Mobile on Thursday in Jackson, 5-2. In total, Walker, Kyle Hunter and Tyler Burgoon combined to strike out a season-high 16 BayBears in total on the night. Walker (W, 4-7, 6.2,6,2,1,0,12,0) led the staff and picked up the win. Hunter (H, 1, 0.2,1,0,0,0,1,0) relieved Walker and earned his first hold. Burgoon (S, 3, 1.2,0,0,0,0,3,0) finished the game on the mound and picked up the save. Julio Morban (2-4, 2 R, RBI) and James Jones (2-3, 2 RBI) combined to lead Jackson at the plate as the Generals scored 3 runs in the first then single runs in the 5th and 6th frames.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that Taijuan Walker struck out a career-high 12 batters last night in his 39th career Jackson start, but DID YOU KNOW?…that ranks 7th on the all-time starts list in Jackson franchise history. Current Detroit Tigers starting pitcher Doug Fister (07-08) leads the franchise with 47 career starts. Ricky Nolasco (04-05) and Renyel Pinto (04-05) made 46 career starts, Steve Bray 45 (09-10), Justin Thomas 41 (07-08) and Steven Hensley (10-11) 40 are in front of Walker.
NEWS & NOTES: 29 of first 68 games have been 1-run games (10-19) which is the most in all of minors…41 of 67 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-28) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 17-10.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: None
• ALUMNI REPORT: Since making his Major League debut on May 27, Nick Franklin ranks amongst AL rookies in home runs (1st, 3), extra-base hits (1st, 9), doubles (T1st, 6), on-base percentage (2nd, .365), slugging percentage (2nd, .480), average (3rd, .280), runs scored (T3rd, 7) and RBI (T4th, 6).
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• FRESH PRINCE OF JACKSON: RH Taijuan Walker struck out a career-high 12 on Thursday against Mobile. In his last 5 starts, has struck out 39 and walked 5 in 32 2/3 innings, all while allowing opponents to hit just .191 (21-for-110). He’s now made 39 starts for the Generals in 2 seasons complete with rates of 9.1 strikeouts and 3.4 walks per nine innings.
– Walker leads the league and Mariners’ organization in strikeouts with 96.
– Ranks 7th in the league in ERA (2.46) and 3rd in IP (84.). Among SL starters ranks 1st in SO/9IP ration (10.29) and 3rd in opponents AVG (.195).
– has allowed 2 runs or fewer in 5 of his past 7 starts, and he has gone at least 5 innings in every start except 1, when he allowed 7 runs over 4 2/3 frames at home to BIR.
– The 12 K game vs. MOB marked the 4th time Walker, now in his 4th year of pro ball, struck out double-digit hitters. The previous 3 — all 11-strikeout games — came in 2011 in Clinton the year he was named the Mariners’ Pitcher of the Year.
• FACING THE CHAMPS: The Generals are currently in a stretch of playing 10 straight games against the North and South Division 1st half Champions. Birmingham took 3 of 5 from the Generals to close out the 1st half and Jackson now faces Mobile during the opening series of the 2nd half. Mobile has won back-to-back SL Championships including the best-of-5 Championship series last year over the Generals in 4 games.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of Chris Taylor to start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• SOLDIER ON THE HILL: After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 4 runs in his last 29.0 innings (1.24 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .208 (22×106) average, while walking 14 and striking out 21.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 50.8% of base stealers (32 CS, 61 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 33.8% of base runners.