Game Central (Sunday, June 23) vs. Mobile
Game #71: Jackson Generals (SEA) 2-2, (31-39) vs. Mobile BayBears (ARI) 2-2, (41-32)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 6:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (3-3, 5.77) vs. RHP David Holmberg (3-3, 2.45)
Promotions: Kids Run the Bases
Radio: Pregame Show (5:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals conclude the 5-game series with the first half South Division Champion Mobile BayBears (2-2) with the rubber match of the series…this is the 5th of 15 meetings during the 2nd half between the clubs, but last in Jackson… 22-year-old Anthony Fernandez makes his 10th start of the year…made 1 start against Mobile last season during the regular season allowing 4 runs, 3 earned on 6 hits in 4.1 innings on 8/27 at MOB…made SLCS game 4 starts at MOB last seaosn and took loss in series clinching game…allowed just 1 run on 3 hits in 6.1 innings, striking out 3 and walking 2.
GENERALS RECAP: CF James Jones hit 2 home runs including inside the park homer and RF Julio Morban knocked in 5 runs as Jackson defeated Mobile 10-5 on Saturday night. Morban (3×5, 3 R, 2 2B, HR, 5 RBI) tied his career-high with 5 RBI (also: 5/14/12 vs. Visalia w/High Desert), while Jones recorded his first career multi-home run game. 2B Gabriel Noriega (2×4, R, RBI) recorded the team’s only other multi-hit game. Starter Chance Ruffin (6.0,6,4,4,1,2,HR) recorded his 4th win of the season, allowing 4 runs on 6 hits in 6.0 innings. LH Nick Hill (1.0,1,0,0,0,1) and LH Kyle Hunter (1.0,1,0,0,0,0) tossed a scoreless inning in relief, while RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,2,1,1,0,2) allowed a run in the top of the 8th.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that James Jones recorded his first career multi-homer game last night that included an inside-the-park round tripper, but DID YOU KNOW?…that the last muli-homer game by a General was Joe Dunigan last season on 7/15 at TNS. The last inside-the-park home run by a General came on 5/6/11 vs. BIR as Jake Shaffer hit an inside-the-park grand slam in the 8th inning.
NEWS & NOTES: 29 of first 70 games have been 1-run games (10-19) which is the 2nd in all of minors…41 of 70 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-28) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 18-11.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma LHP James Paxton struck out a season-high 11 batters last night in a 2-1 loss vs. Fresno. It marked his 9th career start recording at least 10 strikeouts (last: 11, 5/13/13 at New Orleans).
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, seven 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• LEADING THE LEAGUE: OF Julio Morban is now leading the league with a .330 batting average. He has hit safely in each of his last 4 games, batting .500 (8×16) with 6 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 1 triple and 8 RBI.
• MIGHTY MOUSE: SS Chris Taylor has hit safely in each of the 4 games he has appeared with Jackson, batting .286 (4×14) with 3 runs scored, 1 double and 1 RBI.
• MR JONES…MR JONES: OF James Jones homered twice Saturday and currently has a 4-game hit streak, batting .467 (7×15) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs and 6 RBI
• NEW FRESH PRINCE OF TACOMA: RH Taijuan Walker was promoted to Tacoma Friday. He struck out a career-high 12 on Thursday against Mobile. In his last 5 starts, has struck out 39 and walked 5 in 32 2/3 innings, all while allowing opponents to hit just .191 (21-for-110). Hemade 39 starts for the Generals in 2 seasons complete with rates of 9.1 strikeouts and 3.4 walks per nine innings.
• FACING THE CHAMPS: The Generals are currently in a stretch of playing 10 straight games against the North and South Division 1st half Champions. Birmingham took 3 of 5 from the Generals to close out the 1st half and Jackson now faces Mobile during the opening series of the 2nd half. Mobile has won back-to-back SL Championships including the best-of-5 Championship series last year over the Generals in 4 games.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of Chris Taylor to start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 48.5% of base stealers (32 CS, 61 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 33.8% of base runners.