Game Central (Friday, June 28) at Tennessee
Game #75, 76: Jackson Generals (3-5, 32-42) at Tennessee Smokies (5-3, 39-38)
Site: Smokies Park – Kodak, TN
Time: 4:00 p.m. (CT) DH
Game 1: RHP Chance Ruffin (4-2, 3.38) vs. RHP A.J. Morris (2-0, 4.24)
Game 2: LHP Anthony Fernandez (4-3, 5.55) vs. RHP Yeiper Castillo (0-2, 5.47)
Radio: Pregame Show (3:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals look to snap a 3-game losing streak today with a series concluding doubleheader at Tennessee against the Smokies (0-3)…this is the 14th and 15th of 20 meetings between the clubs (3-10) and 2nd series played at Smokies Park…24-year-old Chance Ruffin makes his 14th career start and 14th of the season in game 1. Ruffin is 0-0 with a 5.06 ERA in 2 starts this season against the Smokies… 22-year-old Anthony Fernandez makes his 11th start of the year in game 2…made 3 career starts against Tennessee and is 1-0 with a 5.14 ERA in those games.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals and Smokies were rained out on Thursday.
DID YOU KNOW?…that this is the 3rd doubleheader Jackson and Tennessee have played this season at Smokies Park. The Smokies swept the DH on 6/3 and the Generals swept the DH on 6/6. This is the Generals’ 6th twin bill of the year and are 5-6 in 7-inning games.
NEWS & NOTES: 30 of first 74 games have been 1-run games (10-20) which is the 2nd in all of minors…42 of 74 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-29) and 7 have been extra-inning games (2-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 19-13.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2012 General LHP Danny Hultzen made his first start since April 19th last night for Tacoma vs. Las Vegas and tossed 6 shutout innings, allowing just 2 hits walking 1 and striking out 6. He threw 78 pitches.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, eight 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• #VOTE CHOI: For the first time, fans will determine the final player on both the U.S. and World Team rosters by casting their votes in the Futures Finalists ballot, available exclusively on MLB.com/futuresfinalists. Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi, a native of South Korea is one of the finalist for the World roster.
• MILLER, WALKER TO THE FUTURES GAME: 2013 Generals Taijuan Walker and Brad Miller were selected to the Futures Game U.S. squad on Wednesday. This is the 1st selection for Miller and 2nd selection for Walker.
• YOUNG GUN: 21-year-old OF Julio Morban is the 5th youngest player in the Southern League. Morban currently is 2nd in the league with a .311 batting average is 4th in the league with a .495 slugging percentage.
• MR. JONES…MR. JONES: OF James Jones has hit safely in 6 of his last 7 games, batting .286 (8×28) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs and 7 RBI.
• EXTRA MORLA: Since being promoted to Jackson, 5 of Ramon Morla’s 6 hits have gone for extra-bases (2-2B, 3 HR). Overall he is batting .231 (6×26) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 3 home runs and 8 RBI.
• NEW FRESH PRINCE OF TACOMA: RH Taijuan Walker was promoted to Tacoma Friday and tossed 6 shutout innings Tuesday against Fresno in his Tacoma debut. In Walker’s final Jackson start, he struck out a career-high 12 last Thursday against Mobile. In his last 5 Jackson starts, struck out 39 and walked 5 in 32 2/3 innings, all while allowing opponents to hit just .191 (21-for-110). Hemade 39 starts for the Generals in 2 seasons complete with rates of 9.1 strikeouts and 3.4 walks per nine innings.
• MORBAN SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: The Southern League announced Monday that Generals outfielder Julio Morban was named the League’s Hitter of the Week. Morban batted .400 (10×25), with 3 doubles, a home run, 9 RBI and 6 runs scored during the week and opening series of the 2nd half against Mobile. Morban homered, doubled twice and posted a career high 5 RBI in Saturday’s 10-5 win over the BayBears at The Ballpark at Jackson. It’s the first hitter of the week for a General since Brad Miller the first week of the season.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 50.0% of base stealers (36 CS, 72 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 32.5% of base runners.