Game Central (Friday, July 12) at Tennessee
Game #88, 89: Jackson Generals (10-11, 39-48) vs. Tennessee Smokies (13-8, 47-43)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 5:05 p.m. DH
Game 1: LHP Kyle Hunter (1-0, 1.44) vs. LHP Austin Kirk (1-3, 7.76)
Game 2: LHP Anthony Vasquez (1-0, 2.70) vs. RHP Yeiper Castillo (1-2, 4.19)
Promotions: Volunteer Appreciation Night, Julio Morban Poster Giveaway
Radio: Pregame Show (4:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 7-game series in 5 days against the Tennessee Smokies today with a doubleheader including game #4 and #5 of the series (0-3)…the Generals are 3-13 against the Smokies this season and 1-7 against TNS at home this season… 22-year-old lefty Kyle Hunter makes the spot start in game 1 of the DH vs. Tennessee. This is Hunter’s 3rd career start and 2nd of the 2013 season. In 22 games this season he is 1-0 with a 1.44 ERA and 1 save… 26-year-old lefty Anthony Vasquez makes his 4th Jackson start of the season and 7th total on the season in game 2. In 2 starts so far in July Vasquez is 1-0, with a 0.75 ERA. In 3 career starts vs. TNS he is 1-0 with a 3.18 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals dropped their third straight to the Tennessee Smokies on Thursday night, 4-1. The loss marked the 6th straight loss to Tennessee and 13th in 16 meetings. DH Ji-Man Choi tallied 2 hits and added his 6th homer of year to lead Jackson offensively. Alberto Cabrera earned his league-leading ninth win for Tennessee. LH Roenis Elias (L, 5-8, 6.0,7,3,3,4,6) suffered the loss for Jackson despite a quality start. RH Stephen Shackleford (2.0,1,0,0,0,0,2) tossed a scoreless 7th and 8th out of the pen, while RH Carson Smith (1.0,1,1,0,0,2) surrendered an unearned run in the 9th inning.
NEWS & NOTES: 34 of first 87 games have been 1-run games (13-21) which is the 5th in all of minors…47 of 87 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (17-30) and 8 have been extra-inning games (3-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 22-17.
• ALUMNI REPORT: INF Kyle Seager was 2×5,R,HR,2 RBI yesterday vs. Boston and extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a homer in the 2nd inning (since 6/30), batting .442 (19×43) with 11 runs scored, 2 doubles, 4 home runs, 9 RBI, and 5 walks during that stretch.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• BLACK JACK HOT IN JULY: INF Jack Marder hit .194 in April, .188 in May and .167 in June but has opened the month of July batting .348 (8×23) with 1 home run, 3 RBI and 3 runs scored.
• SECOND HALF SURGE: After batting just .191 in the first half, INF Steven Proscia is batting .302 (13×43) with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 9 RBI. Proscia leads the club with 7 home runs on the season.
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games with 6 multi-hit outings, batting batting .377 (17×45) with 8 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 3 stolen bases and 7 walks. Overall he has hit safely in 15 of 20 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .297 (22×74) with 12 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 12 walks and 5 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 22 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.57 ERA (4 ER, 23.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.67. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 25 of 28 games, including recording 12 strikeouts over his last 6 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO WORLD ROSTER IN FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walker will be on the U.S. roster.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of a doublheader on June 10th against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.3% of base stealers (46 CS, 88 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 35.0% of base runners.