Game Central (Thursday, July 25) at Chattanooga
Game #96: Jackson Generals (14-15, 43-52) vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (12-19, 47-54)
Site: AT&T Field – Chattanooga, TN
Time: 6:15 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (5-5, 4.46) vs. LHP Chris Reed (4-4, 2.64)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:00) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 5-game road series tonight with game #3 at AT&T Field against the Chattanooga Lookouts…the Generals are 7-5 against the Lookouts this season and 5-2 at AT&T Field…23-year-old Anthony Fernandez makes his 15th start of the year, 91st of his career and 28th for the Generals tonight…In 3 starts in July, Fernandez is 0-2 with a 2.00 ERA (4ER/18.0) and opponents are hitting just .150 against him.
GENERALS RECAP: Starter Roenis Elias struck out 10 and CF James Jones added 3 hits as the Generals won their 2nd game in a row over Chattanooga, 4-3 on Wednesday night. Jones (3-5, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, 3B) 3B Ramon Morla (2-5, HR, 2 RBI, R) provided six of the eight Jackson hits and all 4 runs. 1B Ji-Man Choi (2-3, 2B) was the only other batter with a base hit in the Generals’ lineup in his second straight multi-hit game. The pitching was sharp behind Elias (W, 6-8, 2.99), as relievers’ Stephen Kohlscheen (2.85), Nick Hill (2.27) and Dominic Leone (0.00) blanked Chattanooga over the final 4 frames.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 95 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the 5th in all of minors…52 of 95 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-33) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 24-18.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma OF Stefen Romero has hit safely in 16 of his last 19 games, batting .303 (23×76) with 11 runs scored, 7 doubles, 1 home run, 14 RBI, 4 RBI and 1 stolen base.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on Wednesday. He is one triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders.
• KEN GRIFFEY JR. AND BRAD MILLER: Opening day Jackson shortstop Brad Miller was named the American League Player of the Week on Monday. In 3 games vs. the Astros, Miller hit .385 (5×13) with 4 runs scored, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and a 1.346 OPS. He recorded 2 home runs and a career-high 5 RBI Friday vs. the Astros He is the first Mariners rookie to earn the honor since Ken Griffey Jr. in 1989
• RAIN, RAIN GO AWAY: The Generals have been rained out 14 times this season and had 2 additional games suspended. The Generals have also had 5 games cancelled. Jackson leads the league having played 16 doubleheader games this season (7-9).
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 will be at The Ballpark in Jackson.
• WELCOME TO DOUBLE-A MR. LEONE: Generals reliever Dominic Leone is the 3rd member of the 2012 draft class to reach Double-A this season (Zunino, Taylor). The 21-year-old out of Clemson has tossed 4.0 hitless innings with 5 strikeouts in his first 3 Jackson outings, including his first save on Wednesday.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits. Taylor is batting .316 (24×76) with 14 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI, 13 walks and 4 stolen base in last 19 games. During this 19-game stretch, since June 29, Taylor has raised his average with Jackson from .172 t0 .284 and has the 5th-highest average in the Southern League.
• ALL ABOUT THE JI-MAN: Quietly, 1B Ji-Man Choi is having one of the best seasons in the Mariners farm system. Overall this season in A+ and AA he is batting .303 (91×300) with 14 home runs, 30 doubles and 59 RBI. He ranks 7th in AVG, 4th in HR’s and 4th in RBI in the organization.
• WE GOTCHA!!...Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 54.2% of base stealers (52 CS, 96 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 36.0% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).