Game Central (Sunday, July 28) vs. Huntsville
Game #99: Jackson Generals (15-17, 44-54) vs. Huntsville Stars (15-19, 44-58)
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 6:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (4-4, 3.53) vs. RHP Drew Gagnon (3-5, 5.67)
Radio: Pregame Show (5:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals begin a 5-game home series tonight with game #1 of the series against the Huntsville Stars…the Generals are 4-4 against the Stars this season and 1-2 at The Ballpark in Jackson against the Brewers AA affiliate…the Generals have won 3 of 4 series’ coming in and are 5-3 since the All-Star break… 25-year-old LHP James Gillheeney starts the series opener tonigh…this is his 106th career start and 3rd against Huntsville. Gillheeney made 2 starts in 2011 against HVL and was 0-1 with a 10.80 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 3 runs over the 3rd and 4th innings, but allowed 5 runs in the bottom of the 5th inning as Jackson lost to Chattanooga 5-8 on Saturday. RF Julio Morban (1×3, 2 R, 2B, BB), 3B Ramon Morla (1×4, R, 2B), DH Daniel Paolini (1×3, R, RBI, BB) and C Michael Dowd (1×3, 2B, RBI) each recorded 1 of the Generals 5 hits. Starter Trevor Miller (4.0,4,6,5,6,3) recorded his first AA loss, allowing 6 runs (5 ER) on 4 hits over 4.0. LH Kyle Hunter (1.0,2,2,1,1,2) allowed a run in the 5th inning, while RH Stephen Kohlscheen (2.0,1,0,0,0,3) and RH Dominic Leone (1.0,1,0,0,0,1) combined to hold the Lookouts scoreless over the final 3.0 innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 98 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the 7th in all of minors…52 of 98 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-33) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 25-20.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2011 Jackson infielder Kyle Seager (2×3,BB) is hitting .398 (33×83) for the Mariners in July with 20 runs scored, 4 doubles, 5 home runs, 11 RBI, and 10 walks.
• HOT HITTING ON CHATTANOOGA ROAD TRIP: The Generals took 3 of 5 in Chattanooga and batted .260 with 6 home runs, 6 triples, 7 doubles and 22 RBIs. The Generals out-scored the Lookouts 26-20.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• ALL ABOUT THE JI-MAN: INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .345 (10×29) with 3 runs scored, 4 extra-base hits (2-2B, 3B, HR), 3 RBI and 3 walks in last 7 games.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on Wednesday. He is one triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 30 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• KEN GRIFFEY JR. AND BRAD MILLER: Opening day Jackson shortstop Brad Miller was named the American League Player of the Week on Monday. In 3 games vs. the Astros, Miller hit .385 (5×13) with 4 runs scored, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and a 1.346 OPS. He recorded 2 home runs and a career-high 5 RBI Friday vs. the Astros He is the first Mariners rookie to earn the honor since Ken Griffey Jr. in 1989.
• RAIN, RAIN GO AWAY: The Generals have been rained out 14 times this season and had 2 additional games suspended. The Generals have also had 5 games cancelled. Jackson leads the league having played 16 doubleheader games this season (7-9).
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 will be at The Ballpark in Jackson. The Generals next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WELCOME TO DOUBLE-A MR. LEONE: Generals reliever Dominic Leone is the 3rd member of the 2012 draft class to reach Double-A. (Zunino, Taylor). The 21-year-old out of Clemson has tossed 5.0 scoreless innings on 1 hit, with 5 strikeouts in his first 4 Jackson outings, including his first save last Wednesday.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.4% of base stealers (54 CS, 103 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 34.5% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).