Game Central (Friday, August 1) vs. Huntsville
Game #103: Jackson Generals (17-19, 46-56) vs. Huntsville Stars (17-21, 46-61)
Streak: Won 2
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: RHP Trevor Miller (0-1, 8.10) vs. Brooks Hall (0-4, 4.88)
Promotions: Dollar Thursday (MobileNation), Chase Skelton Postgame Concert
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals conclude their 5-game home series with the rubber match of the series against the Huntsville Stars (2-2)…the Generals are 6-6 against the Stars this season and 3-4 at The Ballpark in Jackson against the Brewers AA affiliate…the Generals have won 4 of 5 series’ coming in and are 7-5 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 5-5 in rubber games of a series this season…22-year-old RHP Trevor Miller makes his 3rd Double-A start tonight. Miller was 4-7 with a 4.82 ERA in 18 starts for A+ High Desert this season.
GENERALS RECAP: DH Ji-Man Choi hit a grand slam home run with 1 out in the bottom of the 6th inning to snap a 3-3 tie, as Jackson defeated Huntsville 7-3 on Wednesday night. 3B Ramon Morla (3×5, 3B, 2 RBI) led the team with 3 hits, while Choi (2×3, 2 R, 2B, GS HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB) and CF James Jones (2×4, R, BB, SB) each recorded 2 of the team’s 12 hits. Starter Anthony Vasquez (5.0,9,3,3,3,3) allowed 3 runs on 9 hits in 5.0 innings, but did not figure into the decision. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (2.0,0,0,0,0,5) struck out 5 in 2.0 perfect innings to earn his 4th win of the season. RH Tyler Burgoon (2.0,0,0,0,0,2) retired the final 6 batters in order, including striking out 2.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .390 (16×41) with 5 runs scored, 7 extra-base hits (3-2B, 2-3B, 2-HR), 13 RBI and 8 walks in last 11 games.
• INF Ramon Morla is batting .364 (12×33) with 3 runs scored, 1 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 6 RBI, 3 walks and 1 stolen base in his last 8 games.
• LHP Anthony Fernandez went 2-2 with a 2.30 ERA (8 ER, 31.1 IP) in 5 starts in July.
• LHP Roenis Elias is 2-2 with a 3.22 ERA in the month of July and has 32 strikeouts in 22.1 innings including 18 in his last 10.1 innings pitched. Elias is T-1st in the Southern League with 107 strikeouts.
• RH Dominic Leone has tossed 6.1 scoreless innings since being promoted to Jackson from High Desert. He has limited opponents to a .095 average (2×21), while walking 0 and striking out 9 in 5 relief appearances. Dating back to June 16 with High Desert, Leone has tossed 16.2 scoreless innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 102 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the T-8th in all of minors…53 of 102 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-34) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 27-21.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2011 General Kyle Seager led the Majors with a .396 batting average in the month of July…Seager was 38- for-96 with 21 runs scored, 5 doubles, 6 home runs, 14 RBI and 12 multi-hit games in 25 games last month.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: The Generals have blasted 4 grand slams this season including the last 2 from Ji-Man Choi. (5/10 at HVL, top 3rd Brad Miller, 6/23 v MOB, btm 3rd Ramon Morla, 6/29 v BIR, btm 5th, 7/31 v HVL, btm 6 Ji-Man Choi (2).
• CHOI HAS “SWAG” WITH THE BASES LOADED: Ji-Man Choi is 5-for-6 (.833) with 2 grand slams, a triple and 14 RBIs with the bases loaded this season.
• WELCOME BACK JOE: OF Joe Dunigan was activated to Jackson’s roster Monday after missing 3 months with a broken jaw. Dunigan ranks 3rd in Jackson franchise history with 42 home runs and 4th in RBIs with 144.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple last Wednesday in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days that started on July 23 to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 at The Ballpark in Jackson. Jackson’s next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.3% of base stealers (56 CS, 107 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 33.3% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).