Game Central (Sunday, August 4) at Mobile
Game #106: Jackson Generals (18-21, 47-58) at Mobile BayBears (22-20, 61-50)
Streak: Lost 2
Site: Hank Aaron Stadium – Mobile, AL
Time: 5:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (7-5, 4.19) vs. LHP David Holmberg (5-6, 2.90)
Radio: Pregame Show (4:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their 12-game road trip in 10 days with game #3 of a 5-game series with the Mobile BayBears (0-2)…the Generals have won 3 straight series’ coming in and are 8-7 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 3-4 against Mobile this season and will play 10 games at Hank Aaron Stadium during the month of August… 22-year-old Anthony Fernandez makes his 17th start of the year, 93rd of his career and 30th for the Generals tonight…In 5 starts in July, Fernandez was 2-2 with a 2.20 ERA (8ER/31.1) and opponents are hitting just .187 against him.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored a run in each the 7th and 8th innings, but couldn’t overcome a 4-run by the BayBears in the bottom of the 5th inning as Jackson lost to Mobile 5-3 on Saturday night. 2B Chris Taylor (2×5) and 3B Ramon Morla (2×4, R, HR, RBI) each had 2 hits, while SS Gabriel Noriega (1×5), CF Julio Morban (1×4, R), C John Hicks (1×4) and Jabari Blash (1×4, R, HR, RBI) each recorded 1 of the team’s 8 hits. Starter Roenis Elias (5.0,5,4,4,6,4) recorded his 10th loss of the season, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits in 5.0 innings. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (1.2,1,1,1,2,1) allowed a run bottom of the 7th inning, while LH Nick Hill (0.1,0,0,0,0,0) and RH Dominic Leone (1.0,0,0,0,0,0) combine to retire the final 4 batters in order.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .347 (17×49) with 6 runs scored, 8 extra-base hits (4-2B, 2-3B, 2-HR), 14 RBI and 11 walks in last 13 games..
• C John Hicks has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games, batting .355 (11×31) with 4 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 6 RBI and 8 walks.
• INF Chris Taylor currently has a 4-game hit streak, batting .389 (7×18) with 3 runs scored, 1 walk and 2 stolen bases.
• LHP Anthony Fernandez went 2-2 with a 2.30 ERA (8 ER, 31.1 IP) in 5 starts in July.
• RH Dominic Leone has tossed 7.1 scoreless innings since being promoted to Jackson from High Desert. He has limited opponents to a .083 average (2×24), while walking 0 and striking out 9 in 6 relief appearances. Dating back to June 16 with High Desert, Leone has tossed 17.2 scoreless innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 105 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the T-8th in all of minors…54 of 105 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-34) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 28-22.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Former Generals’ Hector Noesi and relievers Chance Ruffin and Carter Capps combined on a 6-hit shutout as Tacoma defeated Iowa 5-0 on Saturday night. The win snapped the AAA Tacoma Rainiers season high 7-game losing streak.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning Saturday in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut.
• CHOI WITH THE BASES LOADED: Ji-Man Choi is 5-for-6 (.833) with 2 grand slams, a triple and 14 RBIs with the bases loaded this season.
• ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Generals are playing 17 of their final 27 games on the road including 10 games in Mobile. The Generals are in the midst of their longest road trip of the season, 12 games in 10 days to Mobile and Mississippi. Jackson closes out the regular season with a 5-game series in Huntsville.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:...there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple last Wednesday in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days that started on July 23 to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 at The Ballpark in Jackson. Jackson’s next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WE GOTCHA!!...Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.9% of base stealers (56 CS, 108 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 33.6% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).