Game Central (Monday, August 5) at Mobile
Game #107: Jackson Generals (19-21, 48-58) at Mobile BayBears (22-21, 61-51)
Streak: Won 1
Site: Hank Aaron Stadium – Mobile, AL
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Vasquez (1-1, 3.38) vs. RHP Bo Schultz (4-2, 2.68)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their 12-game road trip in 10 days with game #4 of a 5-game series with the Mobile BayBears (1-2)…the Generals have won 3 straight series’ coming in and are 9-7 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 4-4 against Mobile this season and will play 10 games at Hank Aaron Stadium during the month of August…26-year-old LHP Anthony Vasquez makes his 8th Jackson start of the season and 11th overall in game 4 of the series. In 6 starts in July, Vasquez was 1-1, with a 2.80 ERA, holding opponents to a .220 average. In 2 career starts vs. MOB he is 1-0 with a 2.08 ERA. (both in 2011)
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 3 runs in the top of the 6th inning as Jackson came-from-behind to defeat Mobile 3-1 on Sunday afternoon. CF Julio Morban (2×4, R, SB) and 3B Ramon Morla (2×4, R, SB) each recorded multi-hit games, while DH Ji-Man Choi (1×3, BB, SB), C John Hicks (1×4, R, RBI, SB), RF Jabari Blash (1×4, 2B, RBI) and LF Jack Marder (1×2, 2 BB, 2 SB) each recorded 1 of the team’s 8 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (6.0,5,1,1,1,2,HR,WP) recorded his 8th win of the season, allowing 1 run on 5 hits in 6.0 innings. RH Tyler Burgoon (1.1,1,0,0,3,0) worked around 1 hit and 3 walks to hold the BayBears scoreless over 1.1 innings in relief. RH Carson Smith (1.2,0,0,0,0,4) struck out 4, including the side in the 9th inning to pick up his 12th save this season.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 7 of his last 8 games, batting .357 (10×28) with 11 runs, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 4 RBI, 4 BB and 1 SB.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .346 (18×52) with 6 runs scored, 8 extra-base hits (4-2B, 2-3B, 2-HR), 14 RBI and 12 walks in last 14 games.
• C John Hicks has hit safely in 9 of his last 10 games, batting .343 (12×35) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 7 RBI and 8 walks.
• After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 31 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 7 saves and a 1.30 ERA (5 ER, 34.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.25. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 32 of 37 games
• RH Dominic Leone has tossed 7.1 scoreless innings since being promoted to Jackson from High Desert. He has limited opponents to a .083 average (2×24), while walking 0 and striking out 9 in 6 relief appearances. Dating back to June 16 with High Desert, Leone has tossed 17.2 scoreless innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 106 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the T-8th in all of minors…55 of 106 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (20-34) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 28-22.
• CHOI NAMED SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: The Southern League announced Monday that Ji-Man Choi had been named SL Hitter of the Week for the week July 29-August 4. During the week Choi batted .350 (7×20) with 4 extra base hits (2-2B, 1-3B, 1-HR) and 10 RBIs. Choi also drew 8 walks and registered a .536 on-base percentage.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning Saturday in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut. Blash also notched an RBI in his 2nd game Sunday.
• ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Generals are playing 17 of their final 27 games on the road including 10 games in Mobile. The Generals are in the midst of their longest road trip of the season, 12 games in 10 days to Mobile and Mississippi. Jackson closes out the regular season with a 5-game series in Huntsville.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple last Wednesday in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days that started on July 23 to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 at The Ballpark in Jackson. Jackson’s next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.9% of base stealers (56 CS, 108 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 33.6% of base runners.