Game Central (Wednesday, August 7) at M-Braves
Game #107: Jackson Generals (19-21, 48-58) at Mississippi Braves (23-20, 61-52)
Streak: Won 1
Site: Trustmark Park – Pearl, Miss
Time: 7:00 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: RHP Trevor Miller (0-1, 8.10) vs. RHP Aaron Northcraft (6-8, 3.67)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their 10-game road trip (1-2) with game #1 of a 7-game series in 5 days at the Mississippi Braves (0-0)…the Generals have won 5 of their last 7 series’ and are 9-7 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 3-5 against Mississippi this season and are 1-4 at Trustmark Park this season.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals and BayBears played for 51 minutes on Tuesday, before lightning, hail and heavy rains hit Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile. The game was suspended after a 1 hour and 3 minute delay, with the Generals leading the BayBears 2-0 in the top of the 4th inning. Game 2 of the scheduled doubleheader was postponed. The conclusion of the suspended game and postponed game will be made during Jackson’s next series in Mobile on August 19th and August 21st.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 7 of his last 8 games, batting .357 (10×28) with 11 runs, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 4 RBI, 4 BB and 1 SB.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .346 (18×52) with 6 runs scored, 8 extra-base hits (4-2B, 2-3B, 2-HR), 14 RBI and 12 walks in last 14 games.
• C John Hicks has hit safely in 9 of his last 10 games, batting .343 (12×35) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 7 RBI and 8 walks.
• After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 31 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 7 saves and a 1.30 ERA (5 ER, 34.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.25. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 32 of 37 games
• RH Dominic Leone has tossed 7.1 scoreless innings since being promoted to Jackson from High Desert. He has limited opponents to a .083 average (2×24), while walking 0 and striking out 9 in 6 relief appearances. Dating back to June 16 with High Desert, Leone has tossed 17.2 scoreless innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 106 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the T-8th in all of minors…55 of 106 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (20-34) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 28-22.
• 29 GAMES IN 27 DAYS: The Generals close out the 2013 regular season by playing 29 games in 27 days, beginning tonight in Mississippi. The final stretch of games include 19 games against South division opponents and 10 against North division opponents.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals will play 7 games in 5 days this week in Mississippi then play 7 games in 5 days August 18-22 when the Generals return to Mobile Jackson leads the league by playing 16 doubleheader games so far this season and has a 7-9 record in those games. The Generals have been rained out 16 times this season and had 3 games suspended.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-ManChoi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• CHOI NAMED SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: The Southern League announced Monday that Ji-Man Choi had been named SL Hitter of the Week for the week July 29-August 4. During the week Choi batted .350 (7×20) with 4 extra base hits (2-2B, 1-3B, 1-HR) and 10 RBIs. Choi also drew 8 walks and registered a .536 on-base percentage.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning Saturday in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut. Blash also notched an RBI in his 2nd game Sunday.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.3% of base stealers (58 CS, 113 Att). The next closest is BIR which is throwing out 34.1%
• SEATTLE GENERALS:...there are currently (8) players on the Seattle Mariners roster that were a member of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Carter Capps, RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) RHP Yoervis Medina and RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).