Game Central (Friday, August 16) vs. Montgomery
Game #116: Jackson Generals (25-25, 54-62) vs. Montgomery Biscuits (23-30, 60-63)
Streak: Won 3
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (6-11, 3.29) vs. LHP Enny Romero (10-6, 2.72)
Promotions: Car Giveaway (Manns Wrecker Service)
Radio: Online Only, Pregame Show (7:00) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their second-to-last homestand of the season tonight with game #4 of a 5-game series with the Montgomery Biscuits (3-0). The Generals are 9-4 against the Rays’ AA affiliate this season and 6-2 at The Ballpark in Jackson…the Generals have won 6 of the last 9 series’ and are 15-11 since the All-Star break.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 6 runs in the bottom of the 2nd inning and Jackson cruised to a 10-1 win over Mongomery on Thursday night. RF Jabari Blash (3×4, 3 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, BB) hit 2 home runs and drove in a team-high 3 runs. 2B Gabriel Noriega (3×4, 2 R), DH Julio Morban (2×4, 2 R HR, 2 RBI, BB), 3B Ramon Morla (2×5, R, 2 RBI) and 1B Ji-Man Choi (2×5, 2B, 2 RBI) each record mult-hit games. Starter Trevor Miller (5.0,5,1,0,3,2) recorded his 2nd AA win, allowing 1 run (o ER) on 5 hits in 5.0 innings. RH Forrest Snow (2.0,0,0,0,1,2), RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,1,0,0,0,1) and RH Moises Hernandez (1.0,1,0,0,2,0) combined to hold the Biscuits scoreless over the final 4.0 innings in relief.
NEWS & NOTES: 39 of first 116 games have been 1-run games (16-23) which is the 9th in all of minors…58 of 116 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (21-36) and 14 have been extra-inning games (5-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-24.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Taijuan Walker (5.1,4,5,5,4,9,HR) recorded his 3rd loss with Tacoma last night at Round Rock, allowing 5 runs on 4 hits in 5.1 innings. Overall he is 3-3 with a 4.27 ERA (22 ER, 46.1 IP) in 9 starts with Tacoma.
• HOME SWEET HOME: Prior to July 30 the Generals were 21-30 at home this season, but since then Jackson is 6-0 in their last 6 home games at The Ballpark in Jackson. During that stretch the Generals have out-scored opposition 38-13.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash has a hit in 8 of his first 10 Double-A games batting .282 (11×39) with 4 of his 11 hits being home runs. Blash belted a homer in his first Jackson at-bat on August 2 at Mobile…hit 2 home runs vs. Montgomery on August 15. He leads the Mariners farm system with 20 long balls this season.
• SOUTH DIVISION SUCCESS: The Generals are 28-26 this season against teams from the South Division as opposed to 26-36 when facing the North. Of the remaining 19 games, 9 are against South Division foes.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• TAYLOR SETTING THE TABLE: INF Chris Taylor is batting .316 (18×57) with 12 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 3 RBI, 5 walks and 4 stolen bases in 14 games in August.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 33 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.18 ERA (5 ER, 38.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.05. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 34 of 39 games (62 strikeouts).
• FLYING UNDER THE RADAR: LH Kyle Hunter has held opponents scoreless in 25 of 30 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 3-0 with 1 save and a 1.07 ERA (6 ER, 49.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .219 (41×187), while walking 12 and striking out 36.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 14 doubleheaders this season and are 10-10 in 7-inning games. Jackson has 2 more scheduled doubleheaders set for August 19 and August 21 at Mobile.
• 17 GAMES IN 15 DAYS: The Generals began a stretch of 17 games in 15 days last night. Jackson will play 7 games in 5 days in Mobile starting on Sunday including the conclusion of a suspended game. The Generals close out the season playing 22 games in 22 days which includes 12 road games and 10 home games.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-Man Choi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.6% of base stealers (61 CS, 116 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 33.8% of base stealers.