Game Central (Saturday, August 17) vs. Montgomery
Game #118: Jackson Generals (26-25, 55-62) vs. Montgomery Biscuits (23-31, 60-64)
Streak: Won 4
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 6:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Vasquez (1-2, 3.38) vs. RHP Marquis Fleming (3-5, 4.50)
Promotions: High Tech Special Effects Fireworks (WBBJ), Elvis Night, National Guard Family Night
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio, Pregame Show (5:50) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals conclude their second-to-last homestand of the season tonight looking for a 5-game sweep of the Montgomery Biscuits (4-0) It would be Jackson’s first 5G sweep of a series since 5/14-5/18 of 2011 vs. HVL. The Generals are 10-4 against the Rays’ AA affiliate this season and 7-2 at The Ballpark in Jackson…the Generals have won 6 of the last 9 series’ and are 16-11 since the All-Star break.
GENERALS RECAP: Despite being limited to only 2 hits, Jackson defeated Montgomery 2-1 on Friday night. The Generals scored the go-ahead run on a fielding error in the 8th. The win marked the 7th straight home win for the Generals, while matching a season-high 4-game win streak. CF Leon Landry (1×2, R, RBI, BB) recored the Generals first run with a RBI single in the 2nd inning and scored the winning run in the 8th. 1B Ji-Man Choi (1×3, R, BB) reorded the team’s only other hit. Starter Roenis Elias (7.0,8,1,1,1,6) limited the Biscuits to only 1 run while striking out 6 in a no decision. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (1.0,0,0,0,1,1) tossed a scoreless 7th inning to pick up his 6th win of the season, while RH Dominic Leone (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) tossed a 1-2-3 9th inning to earn his 3rd save with Jackson.
NEWS & NOTES: 40 of 117 games have been 1-run games (17-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…59 of 116 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (22-36) and 14 have been extra-inning games (5-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-24.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Mariners rookie second baseman and former General Nick Franklin has joined twitter, and you can follow him at @NickFrank20…Franklin is also on Instagram (@NicholaseFrank).
• WINNING STREAK INFORMATION: The Generals have tied a season-high (3 times) by winning 4 straight games. The last 5-game winning streak was part of a 6-game winning streak, April 23-April 28, 2012 against Huntsville and Tennessee. The last 5-game sweep in a series was May 14-May 18 at home against Huntsville in 2011. That was part of a 7-game winning streak.
• HOME SWEET HOME: Prior to July 30 the Generals were 21-30 at home this season, but since then Jackson is 7-0 in their last 7 home games at The Ballpark in Jackson. During that stretch the Generals have out-scored opposition 40-14.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash has a hit in 8 of his first 11 Double-A games batting .262 (11×42) with 4 of his 11 hits being home runs. Blash belted a homer in his first Jackson at-bat on August 2 at Mobile…hit 2 home runs vs. Montgomery on August 15. He leads the Mariners farm system with 20 long balls this season.
• SOUTH DIVISION SUCCESS: The Generals are 29-26 this season against teams from the South Division as opposed to 26-36 when facing the North. Of the remaining 18 games, 8 are against South Division foes.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• TAYLOR SETTING THE TABLE: INF Chris Taylor is batting .300 (18×60) with 12 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 3 RBI, 6 walks and 4 stolen bases in 15 games in August.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 33 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.18 ERA (5 ER, 38.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.05. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 34 of 39 games (62 strikeouts).
• FLYING UNDER THE RADAR: LH Kyle Hunter has held opponents scoreless in 25 of 30 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 3-0 with 1 save and a 1.07 ERA (6 ER, 49.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .219 (41×187), while walking 12 and striking out 36.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 14 doubleheaders this season and are 10-10 in 7-inning games. Jackson has 2 more scheduled doubleheaders set for August 19 and August 21 at Mobile.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-Man Choi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.5% of base stealers (62 CS, 118 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 34.2% of base stealers.