Game Central (Friday, August 30) at Huntsville
Game #132: Jackson Generals (32-33, 61-70) at Huntsville Stars (27-39, 56-78)
Streak: Won 4
Site: Joe Davis Stadium – Huntsville, Alabama
Time: 6:43 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (6-7, 4.07) vs. RHP Andy Moye (6-14, 4.00)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN, Pregame Show (6:28) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their final series of the season tonight with the game #2 of a 5-game road series with the Huntsville Stars (1-0)…this season Jackson is 8-6 against the Stars and 4-2 at Hank Aaron Stadium…
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 4 runs combined between the 4th-6th innings as Jackson camefrom- behind to defeat Huntsville 5-3 on Thursday night. SS Chris Taylor (2×4, 2B, BB, SB), 3B Ramon Morla (2×4, R, HR, RBI) and LF Leon Landry (2×4, R, 2B, RBI) each recorded 2 of the Generals 8 hits. Starter Anthony Vasquez (7.0,7,3,2,1,1,2HR) recorded his 2nd win of the season, allowing 3 runs (2 ER) on 7 hits over 7.0 innings. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (1.0,0,0,0,0,2) stuck out 2 in a scoreless 8th inning, while RH Carson Smith (1.0,0,0,0,0,2) struck out 2 in a 1-2-3 9th inning to earn his 15th save.
NEWS & NOTES: 47 of 131 games have been 1-run games (20-27) which is the T-1st in the Southern League…67 of 131 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (26-41) and 17 have been extra-inning games (5-12)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-27.
• BLASH HITTING: OF Jabari Blash has hit safely 10 of his last 11 games, batting .400 (14×35) with 6 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 10 RBI and 15 walks.
• WALKER TO MAKE MLB DEBUT FRIDAY: 21-year-old former General RH Taijuan Walker will make his Major League debut Friday at Houston. Walker will wear #27 when he takes the mound on Friday. In 25 starts split between AA Jackson and AAA Tacoma, Walker has combined to go 9-10 with a 2.93 ERA (46 ER, 141.1 IP) and is averaging 10.19 strikeouts per 9.0 innings pitched (160 strikeouts). Walker is tied for 4th among minor league pitchers in strikeouts. Walker becomes the 4th 2013 General to make his MLB debut.
• GENERALS WELL REPRESENTED IN AFL: There are 3 current Generals headed to play for the Peoria Javelinas in the prestegious Arizona Fall League. Infielder Chris Taylor and relievers Carson Smith and Dominic Leone will represent Jackson along with former Generals Danny Hultzen, Brandon Maurer, Stefen Romero and High Desert infielder Patrick Kivlehan. The squad will be managed by Jackson’s Jim Pankovits.
• BLASH NAMED SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: OF Jabari Blash was named Southern League Player of the Week, for Aug. 19-25. In 9 games last week, Blash led the Southern Leauge in average (.500/12×24), on-base percentage (1.526) and walks (14). Overall he hit .500 (12×24) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, 14 walks. Blash was promoted to AA Jackson from A High Desert on Aug. 2. In 22 game, he is batting .315 (23×73) with 9 runs scored, 3 doubles, 6 home runs, 12 RBI and 18 walks.
• TAYLOR’S HOT AUGUST CONTINUES: INF Chris Taylor is batting .342 (38×111) with 21 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 7 RBI, 14 walks and 9 stolen bases in 29 games in August.
• JONES RETURNS FROM THE DL: James Jones suffered a strained left triceps muscle on August 1 vs. Huntsville. In 98 games this season, Jones is batting .276 (97×351) with 13 2B, 10 3B, 6 HR, 45 RBIs and 26 stolen bases. Jones leads the Southern League with 10 triples and is 1 shy of Jackson’s franchise record for triples in a single season. Chantz Mack was sent back to Short-A Everett on Monday.
• ROSTER SHAKE UP: During the last week the Generals have lost top offensive players Ji-Man Choi (promoted to AAA) and Julio Morban (broken right fibula) while losing top starter LHP Roenis Elias (Appendectomy). Morban and Choi had combined for 140 hits, 30 doubles, 8 triples, 16 home runs and 83 RBIs. Elias had a 3.18 ERA in 22 starts and was 3rd in the SL with 121 strikeouts.
• CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith has allowed only 1 earned run over his last 27.2 innings (0.33 ERA), including 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings (since July 23). After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 37 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 11 saves and a 1.03 ERA (5 ER, 43.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 1.84. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 38 of 43 games (70 strikeouts).
• THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 30.2 innings (0.88 ERA). During this 17-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 with 1 save while lowering his season ERA from 3.60 to 2.33.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 41 triples which is T-1st in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.6% of base stealers (65 CS, 126 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 34.6% of base stealers.